Gary Reeder
the 585 Nyati will beat the T.Rex by a few FPS
Friday, May 13, 2022, 16:20

but when you are shooting either one on a hunt I don't think there is an animal on earth that could tell the difference. The 585 Nyati at max loads will do around 2500 fps with 160 grains of 4350 and a 750 grain bullet. This gives you, or me, 180 foot pounds of recoil and 10,300 foot pounds of energy. A 30-06 has 20 foot pounds of recoil.
The T. Rex, also with a 750 grain bullet gives us within 50 fps of the same velocity and 10,180 foot pounds of energy and 170 foot pounds of recoil.
So either way it takes someone with few brain cells to shoot either one.
We actually built 8 or 10 of the 585 Nyati and probably shot 75 or 80 rounds of the ammo. Every shot made my nose bleed and a couple of teeth loose on the right side (stock side). At the time I was wearing contacts and every shot popped my contacts out. I stool on a towel so we didn't lose the contacts. I would shoot one round, wait an hour or so and shoot another, never was able to shoot more than 3 in a day.
One fellow wanted us to build his 585 Nyati on his Weatherby 460 rifle stock. It had beautiful wood, lots of dark streaks and blond around the streaks. I told him I didn't believe the stock would handle it. He demanded we use it. So, on the first shot the stock exploded into 10 or 12 pieces, totally destroyed. We ended up doing as we normally did, a full muzzle brake, bland heavy thick stock, 3 mercury recoil reducers in the stock and it still ruined your day with 1 or 2 shots.
So that is why I today have 5 screws holding my right shoulder on.