Gary Reeder
You might remember my never ending story
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 10:33

about the bear Colleen hit coming home one evening. The bear was hurt but still motivating. She called me and as I was 2 minutes away I came back up and attempted to send the bear to the happy honey ground. I had hollow points in the mag in the Star PD and hit him with 3 of them and got no response. A highway patrol pulled up during this exercise in futility. Colleen had called them right after calling me, or vice versa. It was a young hiway patrolman and he was having fun. He asked me if he could shoot the bear. I told him sure, why not, I wasn't doing the bear any good or any damage. The young man put a 223 in the bear's head and it was all done. Just for the hell of it we cut the bear open on the lower neck and upper shoulder and none of the hollow points had done any damage to Mr. Bear. They had opened up on hitting the bear and went maybe 2 inches into the bear at most. The bear's thick skin, 2" inches of fat and a determination to outlive us all was the final outcome, at least with my 45 ACP JHPs. Colleen's Nissan did more damage than my 45 ACP and the bear did $20,000 damage to her Nissan. From that date on I figured that unless I am being attacked by a naked skinny man I will stay with the full metal jacket.