Gary Reeder
Here you go for those wanting to venture forth with
Thursday, October 06, 2022, 21:03

your single shot Remington 22 LR with gator on the mind. Here is Don Peter's latest gator hunt.

In Mississippi you must snag the gator. Also you must have the gator secured to the boat before you can kill it. Must be a single shot shotgun with nothing larger than #6's. We have a 10 day season here in Mississippi by lottery hunt. You must draw a tag. First time I have ever drawn a tag. My daughter was drawn last year. Tags are hard to draw, especially in the zone we hunt in. Others in the hunting party can purchase a alligator hunting license and be with the person that was drawn for the tag. We killed this one and last years off the Mississippi River near Natchez. Last years took about 4 hours from the time we hooked him until we had him secured and killed him. The one we took this year took us about an hour from the time we hooked him until we had him secured. They put up quite the fight on a rod and real. Once you have one hooked, they typically run to the bottom and sit there. They we try to hook him up with other rods. In total we had this hooked up on four rods. After you wear him down then we put a look around his neck and tie him off to the boat. Then you can shoot him. We caught a 7 or 8 smaller ones that we released. Caught one about 9 ft that we let go. We knew other bigger ones were around. In all it is a unique experience. Gets quite exciting when you have something that size tied off to your boat! There were four of us, myself, a friend of mine and two girls, my daughter 17 and the 16 year old granddaughter of my friend. All had a blast.
[image]