Randy Barnett
2022 Kentucky Deer Season
Saturday, November 26, 2022, 08:39

Once again the good LORD has blessed me with a successful and memorable deer season.

I had been seeing this guy sporadically since opening day of the modern forearms season. He decided to cross an open field at 12 noon the day before Thanksgiving. He stopped and looked back and was slightly quartering away. I new he was close to 300 yards and I settled my 6.5 Bullberry Improved on a solid rest and squeezed off a shot. He staggered at the shot and ran back to the tree line from where he emerged. He stopped before entering the woods at 250 yards, perfect broadside. I held at the top of the shoulder and sent another round. He went down then staggered to edge of the trees and collapsed. The first shot ended up being 305 yards and I didn’t compensate for enough drop. The bullet impacted below the shoulder and broke his right leg. The second shot hit center chest in front of the shoulder blade. I was shooting a 120 grain Nosler BT at 2510 fps. He field dressed around 175 lbs. and gross scored 141.

[image]

[image]

I was also able to harvest some does that I donated to Hunters for the Hungry which supplies meat to our local food banks.

The first was taken with my Freedom Arms 454 using a 300 grain Speer Deep Curl at 76 yards. She was slightly quartered to me and the round entered the right shoulder, through the top of the heart and exited the left rear hip.

[image]

The next doe was a perfect broadside shot at 52 yards with my T/C Contender chambered in 300 Whisper using a 190 grain Makers at 1020 fps. She dropped at the shot and never moved. This girl dressed out at 150 lbs.

[image]

[image]

The final doe was taken at 75 yards with my BFR chambered in 475 Linebaugh using a 385 grain cast hollow point.

[image]

GOD is good! :-)