AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
Grew up understanding the principle...
Thursday, December 01, 2022, 12:46

due to shooting birds out of trees. That bird could be up 60 feet or more in the tree, but if you were almost underneath it then you had to hold like you were shooting at almost arm's length. In other words, the bullet would strike WAY low due to the pellet not having raised to the line of sight. So we had to learn to adjust our hold depending on the angle at which we were shooting and the distance to the target. If we got a more horizontal shot then we'd have to hold differently, of course. I never did pace off the distance at which I'd sighted the old pellet rifle, just learned to estimate "about there" and could do a head shot on a dove as far as I could make it out through the leaves. It's been a while since I limited myself to shooting just one gun, and it shows. I can't just "up and pop 'em" without some cogitation anymore. Those were the days.

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.