WB
Very true, and a good work!
Friday, March 17, 2023, 08:12

Plus there are so many varibles. If it is ft. lbs. it is also distributed over area. It's only 0.1 sq. inches for a .35 cal. projectile. I've always thought if it as that many "pounds" of weight, dropped from 1 ft. height, onto that much area. Obviously penetration and the rate of slowing are big absorbing factors. Bullet design and projectile expansion all factor in. on soft media you get into temporary cavities and all. It makes your head hurt. The physics are logarithmic, often, not proportional.

I set up to chronographs once, with a consistent medium between for the bullet to penetrate fully. Measuring the residual velocity I could "calculate" the "energy" exerted to the soap blocks. This was used for very lightly powered rimfire bullets. I was toying with round nose vs flat tipped bullets, .22 shorts actually. I DID get some notable results with the flat tips adding about 10-15% more energy dumped or lost with nothing being changed other than Gary's flat tip. This was determined simply by residual velocity numbers.

The soap blocks are small and I didn't have problems with pieces of media tripping the chrono downstream. It seemed legit.