Zambia leopard and buffalo hunt

Erik Stenberg
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 09:58 (13 days ago)

My son and I just returned from a 14 day leopard and buffalo hunt in Zambia, we booked this safari 3 years ago with Madubula Safaris. The concession we were hunting in was right at 800 square miles and bordered the Kafue National Park. We were able to take a number of wonderful animals, it was definitely a once in a lifetime hunt. We flew from Bozeman to Atlanta, Atlanta to Johannesburg, Johannesburg to Lusaka, Zambia, then a charter flight to a little airstrip in the middle of nowhere, and then a 2 hour ride on a land cruiser to camp.[image]
Nick got to fly a little bit.
[image]
Airstrip at Ngoma (Middle of Nowhere)
[image][image]
Camp
[image]
Chobe Bushbuck
[image]
Nick's Lichtenstein Hartebeest
[image]
Sharpes Grysbok, Actually he is fair sized
[image]
My hartebeest
[image]
Nick with his wildebeest taken with one shot with his .308 at 360 yards, pretty much a bang flop. This was the only animal taken in the open, everything else was either in the trees or in the brush. Nothing stood still for more than 5 seconds.
[image]
Black mamba, supposed to be hibernating, we chased this one around on the ground until he went up a tree, very interesting snake.
[image]
Most annoying part of the days, tetse flies, bite like a horsefly on steroids
[image] Nick's bushbuck
[image]
My Defassa Waterbuck

I will load some more pictures here shortly

Erik Stenberg
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 10:03 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

- No text -

Congratulations to you guys. Awesome trip

Blake
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 16:56 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

- No text -

What a fine bunch of trophies, congratulations!

Howard
[subject]
Saturday, September 26, 2026, 13:42 (8 days ago) @ Blake

- No text -

What did you shoot the buf with?

Coloradoyaler
[subject]
Tuesday, September 22, 2026, 06:02 (12 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

- No text -

Due to the trees, brush and vegetation, I ended up using my

Erik Stenberg
[subject]
Tuesday, September 22, 2026, 08:22 (12 days ago) @ Coloradoyaler

9.3x62. Though not legal in Zambia, the PH did not have a problem with me using it. I needed a scope to see what I was shooting through, and around, the red dot on my .404 just wasn't cutting it at the distances shots were going to be taken.

You both had an amazing trip!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 10:11 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

What an adventure with your son! That is a real blessing. And seeing the wild side of Africa. To me it don't get any better than that!

It was definitely an eye opener. So much different than SA

Erik Stenberg
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 10:15 (13 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

I found Mozambique that way also.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 10:16 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

- No text -

Erik, how different was it from SA? I have hunted

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 15:59 (13 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

pretty much every country in Africa and found some differences between one over another. I am hoping to get back to Africa for one more hunt but doubt it will happen.

Zambia hunting

Erik Stenberg
[subject]
Tuesday, September 22, 2026, 08:16 (12 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Well, let us start off with the big one, this is all free range hunting, absolutely no guarantee of taking any animal. The area we hunted was roughly 800 square miles, we drove on average 125 miles a day. We took a couple of animals on the first couple of days, and then we didn't see anything for 4 days. The weather changed, it rained, the wind blew, and everything vanished into the trees and brush,or went back into the park. There are absolutely no fences and everything just comes and goes as it wants. Where in SA, 95 percent of the hunting areas are high fenced and you have a very high success rate on what you are after.

The Government sets the number of hunting days by species, My buffalo hunt was sold as a 7 day hunt, and Nick's leopard hunt was a 14 day hunt so I had to pay 7 days as on observer.
If I had not had the 14 days to hunt, the only animals I would of taken would of been the bushbuck, grysbok and hartebeest. We were required to buy licenses before we arrived. So, we had to go through and guess what we wanted to try to shoot and purchase licenses, we guessed right on some, and way way wrong on others. Since we had to bait Nick's leopard, we were lucky to get a few animals in the beginning, which you pay full trophy fee on, then there were no animals around for bait, and the cats had quit coming in so I figured no leopard. The daily rates are roughly 4.5 - 5x what you pay in SA, but the trophy fees are somewhat less.

Firearm choices, no handguns allowed, I took my .404 Jeffery and my 9.3x62, My .404 has a red dot on it, figured that would work fine, it worked well in SA in March, it didn't in this area, way to much brush, trees, and nothing in the open, everything constantly moving, we never got within 800 yards of a herd of zebra in 2 weeks, just a cloud of dust off in the distance. Shots in the trees and brush were pushing 100 yards at shadows basically, I ended up using my 9.3 for everything as it was scoped, and I could see some of tree branches in the way. I honestly think if I had been hunting with a handgun on this concession, I may have been able to take one or two animals. I should have studied this a little more, and put a scope on my .404J, or taken my scoped .416 Taylor. The 9.3x62 is not legal in Zambia for buffalo because of bore size, (.375 minimum vs .366) but it definitely works:-), and the PH did not have a problem with me using it.

The other thing that takes a little getting used to, is having a Game Scout with an AK47 following along with you everywhere you go, making sure that you are obeying most of the rules, they are actually quite handy and helpful, almost like having another tracker with you, but then when you take off chasing something in the brush, its another person making noise, everything was so dry there it was like walking on corn flakes.

I would have to say this hunt had lots of frustration at times, just because of not seeing any game, then we'd get a little taste and it would be ok for a while. Once Nick got his leopard, the pressure was off, and the hunt became a little more relaxed and laid back.

I am definitely glad that we did this hunt, but would I do it again, no, maybe a different country that is a little more affordable. But if you want to hunt Africa the way it used to be, this is a place to go.

Outstanding Erik!

Randy Barnett
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 10:30 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

Looks like you and Nick had a great hunt!

More Pics

Erik Stenberg
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 10:35 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

[image]
Nick's Waterbuck
[image][image][image]
After 9 days, I had my doubts that this would happen. It was definitely the highlight of the trip!
[image]
My buffalo, taken on day 12
[image]
Kudu
[image]
[image]
My baboon, was in need of some dental work
[image]
Nick's baboon was taken from the camp on the afternoon of the last day.

That is over the top!

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 12:16 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

- No text -

Outstanding!!!

Brian T
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 12:37 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

- No text -

Thanks for the armchair travelog and safari!

Jerry Kiln
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 12:52 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

- No text -

Erik, you sure know how to live. I envy you!!

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 21, 2026, 14:54 (13 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

- No text -

Me too!! Congrats to you both!

drdougrx
[subject]
Tuesday, September 22, 2026, 03:42 (12 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Amazing hunt. We will talk soon

Bob D
[subject]
Tuesday, September 22, 2026, 04:42 (12 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Wow! A truly amazing hunt, thanks for sharing.

JPL
[subject]
Saturday, September 26, 2026, 19:40 (8 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

- No text -

powered by my little forum