Like reading about the Nitro Express cartidges, sorta

Derek
[subject]
Friday, May 13, 2022, 18:47 (712 days ago)

Makes me want a barrel made in one of these old nitro express cartiges.

https://revivaler.com/the-450-400-3-nitro-express/

If you like reading about the various Nitro cartridges and "

gary reeder
[subject]
Friday, May 13, 2022, 23:31 (712 days ago) @ Derek

hunts with them, look for John "Pondoro" Taylor's book African Rifles and their Cartridges. Pondoro is African for Lion in one of their languages. Capstick wrote a book on Taylor called "A Man Called Lion" which was a piece of chit. Capstick was so jealous of Taylor that he bad mouthed him thru-out the book. And Capstick was the biggest liar this side of a Marine retired Colonel that writes for Hunting magazine. None of the things Capstick said he did, did he actually do. He was a bartender at a bar called the Duck Inn. When professional hunters would come in and have a beer and tell some of their stories Capstick would write them down and put them in his books as if he did those things. African hunters hated the man. He is dead now so no more criticism of him.

Taylor's book is the best African book on rifles, cartridges and the hunts with them in my humble opinion. It is right up there with Al Goerg's Pioneering Handgun Hunting. I wouldn't be without either one. Taylor spent years in Africa on hunts back in the 1940s. In fact on one of his hunts he spent 5 years out in the brush hunting and didn't even know the world was in a war, World War 2, until he can into a settlement for provisions. It is a great book, showing pictures of the various African cartridges and some of his hunts with them.

here you go

gary reeder
[subject]
Friday, May 13, 2022, 23:34 (712 days ago) @ gary reeder

Thanks Gary!

Derek
[subject]
Saturday, May 14, 2022, 03:42 (712 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

PLUS TAYLOR'S TKO FORMULA MAKES SENSE

JT
[subject]
Saturday, May 14, 2022, 06:30 (712 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

I agree. Plus it makes better sense than using the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, May 14, 2022, 14:36 (711 days ago) @ JT

energy figures. Energy is something that doesn't exist. It is a fictitious number given to a cartridge based on speed, things like converting energy to power. In many instances you will see things like a 220 Swift being "more powerful" than a 45-70. That is mainly because the swift is much faster and has a much higher energy number as energy is pretty much based on speed.
The TKO figures make a lot more sense as they base a knock out factor on the size and type of animal. The TKO factor says things like "for a 100 lb animal use a cartridge with a TKO of xxx". The TKO makes a lot more sense than energy figures.

AMEN!!!

JT
[subject]
Saturday, May 14, 2022, 17:42 (711 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Hard to keep up

Pam
[subject]
Sunday, June 12, 2022, 16:41 (682 days ago) @ Derek

With all the reading when you aren’t the biggest fucking nerd on earth. Thanks for taking the job