UP!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, September 12, 2022, 15:45 (562 days ago)

When I was a young teenager my Dad began teaching me to shoot aerial targets. He handloaded some of his 110 gr. "Slip-In" Bullets for the .38/357 with about 2 gr. of Bullseye. Shooting up into the clear Arizona sky you could see the bullets go and tell if you were high, low or off to one side or the other. The light full-wadcutter bullets did not have a lot of range and we were shooting out in desert country with no population within miles.

He would toss up a 5 gallon paint can lid, spinning it so it stayed flat-face to me. I could see if I was leading too much or not enough .. almost like shooting tracers. When I go to where the 5 gallon lid was easy and I hit it consistently he started using a 1 gallon paint can lid.

After that it was tennis balls and eventually golf balls. I started using more powerful loads also, as well as the .22 Long Rifle in the handgun. By the time I was 16 I could toss up a 12 ga. shotgun shell, pull the Single Six and hit the shotgun shell sending it flying. Golf balls when hit fairly straight would go up out of sight.

By the time I was in my 20's I was fairly decent at shooting aerial targets and I continued shooting them for all the years we lived in open country.

[image]
In the photo above I threw a piece of 2 x 6 into the air, pulled the .45 Colt and busted the board. The load was the Keith #454424 260 gr. SWC and 8.5 gr. Unique.

During those years we were living in Oracle, AZ and my friend Dale and I decided to hunt turkeys. We located a flock and saw where they roosted. Early in the morning we sneaked in and busted them off the roost. As it began to lighten up Dale began calling the 'kee kee run' lost bird call. Suddenly this turkey hen shows up in front of me about 20 yards. I was hunting with my Ruger .45 Colt. I had it loaded with the round-nose #454190 bullet. I shot at her and missed! Twice! I was shaking with excitement and couldn't hold the gun still. She took off and flew over my head maybe 10 or 15 feet up. I swung the gun and pulled the trigger and she just sailed right into the hillside dead. The bullet had gone right through her breast.

[image]

We had her for Thanksgiving that year.

When we moved to more congested civilization my aerial shooting came to an end. Other than with BB guns. I miss the open country with not a lot of people around but for me, those days are gone. I am thankful for the memories.

It always amazes me that some folks can do that

steve todd
[subject]
Monday, September 12, 2022, 19:14 (562 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I have enough trouble hitting arial targets with a shotgun.

One year at The Shootists Holiday ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, September 13, 2022, 06:43 (562 days ago) @ steve todd

Billy Boots set up a Cowboy Action Shoot. He had one of those shotgun targets that you shoot the plate and it throws a clay pigeon and you are supposed to bust the clay with your next shot.

I was standing there looking at it and someone asked it I could do it with my Colt single action. Without thinking I drew the pistol, knocked down the target, and fired at the clay pigeon as it was going up. I hit it directly on the edge and smoked it!

Then I put my gun back into the holster and calmly walked away like it was something I did all the time. ;-)

A smart man knows when to quit. Well done Jim

SPB
[subject]
Tuesday, September 13, 2022, 10:43 (562 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -