MOVIE: Father Stu

~JM~
[subject]
Monday, September 19, 2022, 15:20 (583 days ago)

Interesting movie.

A bit course at times, but it turns around, some.

Available on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14439896/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

I saw a review of it.

John W
[subject]
Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 03:00 (583 days ago) @ ~JM~

It appears to be a good movie. One way to think about it is how many of us are flawed?

Father Stu was a very flawed man who turned his life around and had taken on a heavy mantle of service to God and others.

Was he rough and coarse? Yes. But many of us are.

I watched it and agree with John W

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 05:30 (582 days ago) @ John W

I know a few "coarse" preachers ... some who might say "shit" in the middle of a sermon. With them .. knowing them ... it seems to fit.

Taken from “Messy Spirituality:” by Mike Yaconelli

A few years ago, I was introduced to a group of uncouth Christians who call themselves “the Notorious Sinners.” These are men from all walks of life who meet once a year to openly share their messy spirituality with each other. The title ‘Notorious Sinners’ refers to the scandalous category of forgiven sinners whose reputations and ongoing flaws didn’t seem to keep Jesus away.

In fact, Jesus had a habit of collecting disreputables; he called them disciples. He still does. I like people who openly admit their ‘notoriousness’—people who unabashedly confess they are hopelessly flawed and hopelessly forgiven. Graciously, these men invited me to be a part of their group. The ‘Notorious Sinners’ meet yearly at spiritual-retreat centers, where from the moment we arrive, we find ourselves in trouble with the centers’ leadership.

We don’t act like most contemplatives who come to spiritual-retreat centers— reserved, quiet, silently seeking the voice of God. We’re a different kind of contemplative— earthy, boisterous, noisy, and rowdy, tromping around our souls, seeking God, hanging out with a rambunctious Jesus who is looking for a good time in our hearts.

A number of us smoke cigars, about half are recovering alcoholics, and a couple of the men could embarrass a sailor with their language. Two of the ‘Notorious Sinners’ show up on their Harleys, complete with leather pants and leather jackets. I admit I run with a rough crowd—Christians whose discipleship is blatantly real and carelessly passionate, characterized by a brazen godliness. Unafraid to admit their flaws, unintimidated by Christians who deny their own messiness, these guys sometimes look like pagans and other times look like Jesus.

They are spiritual troublemakers, really, which is why they look like Jesus (who was always causing trouble himself ). They are full of mischief, laughter, and boisterous behavior, which is why they look like pagans. Truly messy disciples. The ‘Notorious Sinners’ are definitely a bizarre mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly, living a spirituality which defies simple definitions.

Oh, and they are some of the most spiritual men I know.”

EVERY FRIDAY MORNING I MEET

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 07:12 (582 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

FOR BREAKFAST AND BIBLE STUDY WITH RETIRED LEOs. WE ALL FIT RIGH INTO THE CATEGORY OF NOTORIOUS SINNERS. DISREPUTABLE DEPLORABLES

I used to try to be "perfect" as I knew Jesus was

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 13:02 (582 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

but stayed pissed off at myself when I constantly failed. Finally Jim Taylor sorta put a bug in my ear that I will never be anywhere near where Jesus was and is. And that helped a lot. I still have a trash mouth but try to keep it to a minimum. If I see a pretty lady in the work out place 2 doors down wearing little or nothing to work out in I look and admire. I don't think to myself "gee I'd love to get in her pants". At my age it would probably kill me if I did. So I just enjoy looking. The sign of an "old man" is when I see a pretty lady wearing the bare minimum and walking her dog, I find myself looking to see what breed of dog she has.
I know I will never be any better than I am right now, not that I don't try. But Jesus accepts me as I am and I sure am grateful for that.

I also am grateful that He accepted me!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 14:09 (582 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

AMEN!

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 14:26 (582 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

That is great, and the correct perspective.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 15:12 (582 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Not that we shouldn't try to be as perfect as we can, you don't get to just do whatever as life on this side can get real rough if you go against God's word (which e all do on daily on some level). We get to experience some judgement on this side, at our own hand. But no one is perfect and all we need is God's love and grace through Jesus and what sacrifice he did for our sakes. By Jesus we are justified to God the Father through the Holy Spirit. Our heavenly citizenship is ensured and we can have hope in that till this life is finished. Life is so wonderful with that understanding and it's much easier to "be good" desiring to please God.

We all have it so much better than we deserve. Times are going down the crapper but take a closer look at the bible and some of the things other Saints (fellow believers) endured.

Zephaniah, a book in the old testament is interesting reading. He was persecuted for telling the King the truth about what events God revealed to him. Then even when the King left word to help him others conspired to do him in anyway. Sure enough things went down just like God told him, and what he had told the king. The King didn't listen though and boy was he dealt with harshly. Those were bad times.