From the deep forgotten bowels of the closet, what?

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 26, 2022, 18:17 (568 days ago)

Based on the .30-30 Win. And someplace around 1.75” long. One not fireformed at all. (Another needs another try) What is it? [image]

.375 SUPERMg

JT
[subject]
Monday, September 26, 2022, 20:53 (567 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Wonderful guess, but no, bigger. Plus it’s me!

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 26, 2022, 21:07 (567 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

Here, from a different angle…

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 03:24 (567 days ago) @ WB

SHOT LOADS!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 06:53 (567 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Full cylinder (S&W) .41 Remington Mag. shotshells for vermin

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 08:21 (567 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Have you ever wanted some .41 Mag. snake loads? I used them to very good effect on rats to maybe 30 ft. while bushhogging.

I simply cut off .30-30 brass at cylinder length. I loaded a stiff powder charge and inserted a tuft of dacron. Then I filled the case with shot and usually hot wax of hot glue a lid on it. This fire forms a case and works itself pretty well. Not trying to size or crimp the formed cases will preserve cases and greatly extend life. A simple card wad atop with hot glue is the best setup. (just don't glue pellets together - unless you WANT to) I played with gas checks crimped in place, turned this way and that, using different dies but it causes case mouth splits pretty early. Maybe annealing would help. I always just used a tuft of dacron for wadding between powder and shot, seemed easy and effective.

Once formed you only need a de-prime tool and priming method to reload. No need for dies.

Good to know!

Derek
[subject]
Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 15:12 (567 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Now I'm REALLY curious...

AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
[subject]
Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 07:24 (567 days ago) @ WB

why the different orientation of the gas check? One is loaded with the cup side out, the others with the cup side in. One would get a smidge more shot pay load with the cup side in, but doubt that's what's going on. I keep thinking about doing up some full brass shells for my little Boito, but never seem to have time (nor have I had the brass to work with) while up north.

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.

It’s not another .401 project is it.

Brent Foy
[subject]
Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 00:22 (567 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Ah, thought this was going to be a cut-down 400 GNR

Keith
[subject]
Thursday, September 29, 2022, 17:23 (565 days ago) @ WB

- No text -