I'll get some pictures later...

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, October 04, 2022, 17:45 (542 days ago)

I just ate supper with the boy and heard the tale, saw pictures. The son of a friend of mine and his brother, boys in their early 20's, got Gator tags. One got a 10'8" and they finished it off with a 9mm using FMJ. Good penetration with no drama. There is a special spot that is vulnerable to finish the business. The other one, the BIG one, was 11'6" and they double tapped it atop the noggin with a .45 ACP using JHP. It was almost bigger than their boat and it took a while to get it inside and where they could boat back in. On the way home the big gator woke back up! Four more .45 slugs sent him back to sleep for good. Upon skinning it was found that four of the .45 JHP mushroomed on the skull and did not penetrate. The first couple shots just gave the big gator a good nap! Had it decided to fan that big tail things could have gotten serious fast!

Didn’t the gator see the gel tests?

drdougrx
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 05:07 (541 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Gary and I been trying to tell people!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 06:08 (541 days ago) @ drdougrx

- No text -

HPs = SMALL DEER, SMALL GAME AND VARMINTS

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 08:11 (541 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Great anti-personnel doesn't equate

AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 09:10 (541 days ago) @ WB

great for ALL applications. Glad they survived. Things could have gone south quick!

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.

Gator

Lymey
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 12:41 (541 days ago) @ AmBraCol

When I was a kid, I grew up on a big lake in Tarpon Springs in Florida. We used to set on a dock and shoot at gators swimming by with a 22. Thought that the noise it made bouncing off was cool.

On TV they shoot them once with a .22 and done!

WB
[subject]
Thursday, October 06, 2022, 05:33 (540 days ago) @ Lymey

- No text -

Not anymore. These days you have to get drawn

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, October 06, 2022, 20:53 (539 days ago) @ WB

and there are certain ways to go about killing these left over dinosaurs. Go back and read the gator hunt that Don Peters posted on here a few weeks ago. A big 11 footer if I remember well that his daughter took.

Here you go for those wanting to venture forth with

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, October 06, 2022, 21:03 (539 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

your single shot Remington 22 LR with gator on the mind. Here is Don Peter's latest gator hunt.

In Mississippi you must snag the gator. Also you must have the gator secured to the boat before you can kill it. Must be a single shot shotgun with nothing larger than #6's. We have a 10 day season here in Mississippi by lottery hunt. You must draw a tag. First time I have ever drawn a tag. My daughter was drawn last year. Tags are hard to draw, especially in the zone we hunt in. Others in the hunting party can purchase a alligator hunting license and be with the person that was drawn for the tag. We killed this one and last years off the Mississippi River near Natchez. Last years took about 4 hours from the time we hooked him until we had him secured and killed him. The one we took this year took us about an hour from the time we hooked him until we had him secured. They put up quite the fight on a rod and real. Once you have one hooked, they typically run to the bottom and sit there. They we try to hook him up with other rods. In total we had this hooked up on four rods. After you wear him down then we put a look around his neck and tie him off to the boat. Then you can shoot him. We caught a 7 or 8 smaller ones that we released. Caught one about 9 ft that we let go. We knew other bigger ones were around. In all it is a unique experience. Gets quite exciting when you have something that size tied off to your boat! There were four of us, myself, a friend of mine and two girls, my daughter 17 and the 16 year old granddaughter of my friend. All had a blast.
[image]

Singleshot Shotgun, eh?

AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
[subject]
Friday, October 07, 2022, 11:47 (539 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Shot not larger than #6? Sure makes one wonder who comes up with these regulations. That's fairly specific and limiting, to say the least. That being said, the last time I went hunting gators I was carrying a 32 gauge singleshot shotgun with 3T shot. The one gator we got that night, however, was taken with a machete blow to the head. Oh, and we were wading in the water, not using a boat. Fun times.

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.