So…one more time…45acp??

drdougrx
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 09:16 (540 days ago)

Ok so Scotty’s post about the bullet proof gator got me thinking yet again. What is the suggestion for a daily carry cartridge in 45acp. Mine has Fed HST 230gr.

Recommend a change??

I switched to flat point fmj

Derek
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 10:31 (540 days ago) @ drdougrx

- No text -

You might remember my never ending story

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 10:33 (540 days ago) @ drdougrx

about the bear Colleen hit coming home one evening. The bear was hurt but still motivating. She called me and as I was 2 minutes away I came back up and attempted to send the bear to the happy honey ground. I had hollow points in the mag in the Star PD and hit him with 3 of them and got no response. A highway patrol pulled up during this exercise in futility. Colleen had called them right after calling me, or vice versa. It was a young hiway patrolman and he was having fun. He asked me if he could shoot the bear. I told him sure, why not, I wasn't doing the bear any good or any damage. The young man put a 223 in the bear's head and it was all done. Just for the hell of it we cut the bear open on the lower neck and upper shoulder and none of the hollow points had done any damage to Mr. Bear. They had opened up on hitting the bear and went maybe 2 inches into the bear at most. The bear's thick skin, 2" inches of fat and a determination to outlive us all was the final outcome, at least with my 45 ACP JHPs. Colleen's Nissan did more damage than my 45 ACP and the bear did $20,000 damage to her Nissan. From that date on I figured that unless I am being attacked by a naked skinny man I will stay with the full metal jacket.

I read an article awhile back that

Grover Sr
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 12:00 (540 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

More people have been killed with 9 mm military Fmj than any other handgun round in the world. I assume that may also be due in part to the prolific number of 9 mm pistols out there used in the wars and other conflicts but Fmj bullets do penetrate. Can’t remember who wrote it but it was quite a few years back. Ever since I have used Fmj or cast fp bullets as also recommended by Taffin, Taylor and Reeder. Having served three hitches in the Army I got acclimated to carrying the 1911 with 230 Gr round nose Fmj and only recently took to carrying the 9 mm because it’s easier to carry two Glock 43xs than two Commander size 45s. As Jim or JT once said a second handgun is faster than trying to eject and load another magazine.

Bear

Lymey
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 12:44 (540 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Gary, after reading your story, I switched to 200gr hard cast lead in my Glock 23 that I carry when bowhunting.

I want penetration and reliability.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, October 05, 2022, 10:35 (540 days ago) @ drdougrx

I carry only 2 different types: 230 gr. hardball or 230 gr. hardcast flatnose.

[image]

The Star PD gets the Hardball. The 1911 gets either. The 230 gr. cast FP with 10.5 gr. Blue Dot (1.240” OAL) - 1034 fps which is too hot for the PD. It will batter the 1911 if you shoot a lot of them.