Say What?

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 06:32 (523 days ago)

I first noticed that the loss of hearing was getting bad among some of the SHOOTISTS at the Shootists Holiday in 1986. My Dad, Robert Smythe, and I drove up from Robert’s place in a motor home. It was not the quietest thing, but I did not think it was all that noisy. However, I noticed that Dad and Robert seemed not to hear each other correctly. Dad would say, "Robert, do you want me to make you a sandwich?" and Robert would reply, "No thanks, I’m comfortable sitting up here." Dad would say, "Cheese and what?" and Robert would say, "No, it’s not hot. I’m fine." Needless to say, the conversation kept me awake, but I’m sure Dad and Robert were wondering why I was laughing so much.

Since that time, I have watched The Shootists get together and things seem to be going downhill in the hearing department. Conversations get louder. You hear, "What’d you say?" more often. And "HUH?" seems to be the normal password anywhere. Now I know among married men nerve deafness increases as the years you are married increase. It is a mathematical progression. A man who has been married ten years is five times more nerve-deaf than a man who has been married for five years. This is a common phenomenon and is well-known among wives, having been passed down as a shared experience from mother to daughter for centuries. However, some of the non-married Shootists seem to be getting to where they don’t hear so well either! At the last Holiday I attended, I asked several of them for a small loan of $50 and they looked right at me and then walked away! I did not want to embarrass such young men by pointing out the obvious loss of hearing, so I did not question them again.

I have a theory that the whole world is getting to be a noisier place, causing everyone and everything to lose its hearing sensitivity. My dog can be setting 20 feet away and not hear me when I call him. It MUST be a nerve deafness, since he can hear certain sounds. Sounds like a candy bar being unwrapped or the refrigerator door being opened. He can hear that from across the pasture. But the tone of my voice he cannot hear al all, except for certain words like "EAT, FOOD, etc." My children do not hear me when I call them to come downstairs and pick up their clothes. They can hear a bag of potato chips being opened even though there is four feet of concrete between it and them.

But it does pain me to see a fine group like The Shootists succumb to this affliction. If it progresses on, ear trumpets will accompany everyone. In addition to buying primers, we will be stocking up on batteries for our hearing aids! Of course, you can be like my Dad and just deny the whole thing. He feels that if you ignore it, it will all just go away. Or never happen in the first place. He quit wondering years ago why the birds had quit singing and crickets had stopped chirping. He blamed it on DDT and has gone happily on his way!

Speaking of crickets reminds me. One night we had a cricket in the house that was about the loudest I had ever heard. While we have been plagued with crickets, usually they are not all that loud. This one was LOUD! And he had the oddest chirp. Not a "cree-deep, cree-deep, cree-deep", as they usually sing, but a "CHEEP!" – real loud and only once. He did that all night long. I got up about 6 A.M. determined to kill the sucker. I moved furniture and he’d chirp and then stop. I looked all over the living room, moved every box and piece of furniture and couldn’t find him. Every once in a while, he’d "CHEEP!" real loud. Finally my daughter came downstairs and asked what I was doing. I told her and she just stood there and pointed up on the wall over the door. Sure enough. There sat my smoke detector, letting me know the battery was getting low.

I'M OK ONE ON ONE (ALMOST) BUT

JT
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 07:54 (522 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I CAN'T FUNCTION IN A GROUP AS THE NOISE LEVEL IS STAGGERING. MY ONE EAR, RIGHT IS DEAD, AND THE OTHER ONE WITH THE HEARING AID PICKS UP EVERY NOISE IN THE ROOM WITHOUT DISTINCTION.

Hearing aids

Theoldredneck
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 10:10 (522 days ago) @ JT

So far I haven't found the "perfect hearing aid. You can spend thousands and they can be adjusted with your smart phone. They amplify sound. They fit out of sight in your ear. For me they were worthless. I could hear all kind of noise but couldn't understand someone someone standing in front of me for all the other noise. Adjusting them with smart phone was a joke. The adjustments were always wrong because I'm not as smart as the phone. I had to have someone else to take them out because my big fingers were not able to find the little thing you pull them out with. One of my old friends at the skeet club was using Walker game ears for hearing aids. He explained they were simple to adjust, hung behind the ear easy to put on and take off. They kill the noise from a gun shot. I bought a pair and I'm satisfied. They are not perfect but work. Easy to adjust even with my big hands. I bought a spare set because I am sold on them for me. You should still wear hearing protection but I forget. After you buy the high priced ones if you are not satisfied try them.

Try talking with a group of

Mark Conner
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 10:21 (522 days ago) @ Theoldredneck

ag pilots that for their whole flying career have sat 10' behind the exhaust of a 1340. The right ear is gone and the left not much better.

Soon you notice everybody is jockeying for position to hear with what little is left in that left ear.

my hearing loss is not from shooting but is

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 12:08 (522 days ago) @ Mark Conner

from 25 years of loud rock & roll.

My hearing aids

Winnturner48
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 12:32 (522 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I got my aids from the VA. The doctor asked me how they were working. I said that there was a strange buzzing sound. She said, rather smuggly, " that's the air conditioner, you haven't heard that in 20 years."
How about that.

I got my hearing loss from the Army and not wearing protecti

Brent Foy
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 19:00 (522 days ago) @ Winnturner48

When we were young. In the Army I spent many hours trying to pick out a coded message from a lot of static and background noise on HF radios.

When you ended your hunt with a smoke

james
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 19:27 (522 days ago) @ Brent Foy

detector, I just about fell out of the chair:-) :-)

Selective hearing starts at a young age and is

Blake
[subject]
Wednesday, November 23, 2022, 05:59 (521 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Is perfected in the first couple of marriage’s. I have a hard time hearing a conversation with any amount of ambient noise. The only way I know it’s quite is when all I hear the forest full of crickets that constantly play in my head!