UPS has closed customer service centers at

WB
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 13:46 (521 days ago)

the warehouse hubs in at least two larger cities around me. It cost me $75 to ship a guy a rifle he purchased from me, shipping to his FFL. That was the absolute cheapest rate too. I have done this literally hundreds of times over the past 30 years and the charge would have typically been around $30-35.

I used the online service to print my own label. Dropped it off at an "Access Point" for pick up. The alternative was to use a "UPS Store" services. They charge an additional rate. Once trying to ship a 32" office monitor back for warranty work, in the original box, they first quoted $200. The monitor cost only $250. We finally found a rate around $110 but I declined. I went to the service hub (now closed as of Oct. 31) and paid $30.

I'm not sure of the US Postal regulations but I know handguns require to ship from a FFL to a FFL, last I heard. I give my dealer $25 to use his FFL, it's only fair. Shipping rates and control are getting to be a big deal. It's not uncommon to see online sales quote $50-75 shipping rates, now I understand why!

I posted that note from the head of UPS

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 14:50 (521 days ago) @ WB

a couple of months ago that if he finds any handguns in their shipments he would destroy the gun. It was a big deal 2 months ago and most gun shops or manufacturers have totally dropped any firearm shipping thru UPS.
And if you expect cheap from any other shipper you can write that off too. The post office just jacked their rates up last week and they are now pretty close to Fed Ex rates. We are using the post office and Fed Ex as there is really no cheaper alternative.
There just ain't no cheap way to ship a gun these days. We ship several guns every week and just accept it as part of doing business. Every part of doing gun business has gone up and you can't expect rates of 30 years ago. You are not a gun shop anymore. You need to realize that and accept it.

First 100% increase in expense I’ve had

WB
[subject]
Monday, November 21, 2022, 16:07 (521 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

with firearms dealings. I understand increases, but doubling?! Cost the same for a $500 as a $2000, long gun.

It changes my play for sure.

those increases have been in effect for a good while.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, November 22, 2022, 10:56 (520 days ago) @ WB

our price increase is dated March of '22. It tells how you need to measure the length and width of the package and there is a formula to go by. Then you have to add in the weight of the package. So it isn't something new. There is also a new price increase from the post office. So these increases you mentioned are not new at all.

You were probably looking at an old price sheet

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, November 22, 2022, 11:00 (520 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

that has been updated a couple of times over the last 2 or 3 years. Looking at a couple of old price sheets most of the increases in the last 2 years were in the 12 to 15% bracket. None were over 15%.