For my .444 Marlin lovin’ buds, circa 1975.

WB
[subject]
Friday, November 25, 2022, 13:40 (511 days ago)

From my long dog-eared wish book factory catalog.

[image]

[image]

Not to leave out one of Gary’s fav’s.

WB
[subject]
Friday, November 25, 2022, 13:44 (511 days ago) @ WB

I was not partial to the trigger assy. being part of the wood stock but they sold millions basically this same platform.

[image]

I have no idea why it has been one of the most

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, November 25, 2022, 15:54 (511 days ago) @ WB

accurate 22's I have ever owned. I have mentioned this numerous times so I hesitate to go into it again. In the mid to late 70s most of the ammo manufacturers were coming out with high velocity 22 LR ammo. Remington had the Yellow Jacket. CCI had the Stinger, Winchester had the Xpediter, Federal had the Lightning, and surprisingly there were no foreign 22 LR ammo high velocity around in those days. I had a couple of the guns and borrowed the rest. The guns were the Remington nylon 66, Rem. 552, Ruger 10-22, Weatherby MK XXII (22), the Marlin 99M1, and a Winchester bolt action. There were actually 2 other 22 LR rifles included in the tests but they have left my memory banks for greener pastures. To make a long boring post a bit shorter we did accuracy tests, feeding tests and field tests (shooting a water filled jug). At the end of the tests the little Marlin 99M1 shooting each of the brands of ammo beat them all. The tests was not about the guns. It was about the new high velocity 22 LR ammo and the Stinger beat every brand as far as accuracy and the field tests. But what surprised me the most was the Marlin 99M1 fed everything and the accuracy was as good if not better than the others.

The fondness for the 99M1 is obviously not me only. Today if you can find one of the original Marlin 99M1 rifles in good condition it is not unusual to pay $350 or more for it. I bought one a couple of years ago to have an extra around and if I remember correctly I paid around $300 for it. In the pic, my original and the newest one.
[image]

I remember when my uncle brought down

AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
[subject]
Saturday, November 26, 2022, 06:07 (511 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

some of those Stingers to the Amazon basin. Very accurate through my cousin's Winchester 67, but they'd blow anything edible off of the wild pigeons we liked to hunt. I still keep a few on hand up north for old time's sake. Can't remember the last time I shot any "in anger". Probably ought to try them on ground squirrels next time I get a chance. Nothing edible there anyway. At least I've never gotten that hungry yet!

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.

Nothing compared to Stingers back then

steve todd
[subject]
Saturday, November 26, 2022, 08:30 (510 days ago) @ AmBraCol

I remember the first ground squirrel i shot with a stinger, from a bolt action 22LR back in the 70s. Shot it broadside, through the shoulder. The exit hole was about the diameter of a quarter. Very accurate, but ya had to have a clean chamber, or they’d stick the empty case after firing the first one.

My dad bought me one for Xmas in about 1980

AkRay
[subject]
Sunday, November 27, 2022, 10:59 (509 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I was moping because I didn't get very many presents and Mom started getting after him about it. He went in the back room and brought out a long rectangular box and gave it to me. I saw it and thought it was a 10/22, like my friend Stan had but it was this Marlin. I was happy to get it but disappointed at the same time. I could be under-appreciative of my Dad's efforts when I was a kid and I regret it. I still have my Marlin 99M1 and am glad that he bought it for me. Thanks for the forum Gary and the chance to remember some things.

I graduated high school in 75'. $145 for the Marlin sounds--

Jeff Spencer
[subject]
Friday, November 25, 2022, 16:54 (511 days ago) @ WB

pretty inexpensive today, but that was a fair amount of $ back then.

mine was about 100 and later after a lay off

Lynn41
[subject]
Saturday, November 26, 2022, 10:05 (510 days ago) @ Jeff Spencer

sold it for 150.00.. really too much for me--until I used BLC#2 and then I could do better with it.. the ball powder had a different recoil feel

JT
[subject]
Saturday, November 26, 2022, 10:46 (510 days ago) @ WB