Use Enough Gun

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 11:57 (511 days ago)

.... or Use What You Have! BUT .. use it correctly!

I had filled all my deer tags that year and was helping a couple people try to get their deer. I had my Ruger .22 Single Six on my belt as I never went unarmed into the hills and canyons. The pistol had been reworked by my Dad and one of the things he had done was re-chamber one chamber to .22 Magnum. That was the one kept empty for the hammer to be down on. There were always a few .22 Magnums in my shirt pocket. (An article I wrote about this gun can be found at https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/family_gun.htm)

About the time the people I was with were tired of hunting I heard 5 shots off to the south. Fairly rapid fire. So instead of going back with the hunters I set out on my own to see who was down in that part of the hills and see what was going on.

After about a mile I could see someone standing on a hill, waving their arms at me. I signaled back and made my way toward them. When I got within a couple hundred yards I could see it was my friend Rick and he was making signs about something in front of me. I eased my way forward and suddenly a Mule Deer buck got up and tried to move off. I could see it was wounded but still had a lot of life in it.

I slipped a .22 Magnum out of my shirt pocket and into the chamber and rolled it around so it would be up when I cocked the hammer. The deer was dragging its back end and trying its best to get away. I was on its left side so I aimed at its head and fired. The deer stiffened up and then turned away from me. I fired again, into the back of its head and that turned the lights out.

By that time Rick was about down from the hill and he was sure happy to see me. I asked him what happened and he reminded me that he had asked me for suggestions about where to hunt. I had told him about this area and he had made his way there, hunted for a couple hours without seeing anything, gotten tired and laid down and took a nap. When he woke up there were deer all around him! He fired at the buck and missed and panic set in. He shot rapidly and managed to shoot the buck through the pelvis, but he was completely out of ammo! He had relocated the deer and was thinking about trying to jump on it and kill it with his knife when he saw me working my way toward him.

The .22 Long Rifle ain't the best deer medicine, but it will work if you can hold it and hit correctly. The first shot with the .22 Magnum was too low to hit the brain and went through the sinus cavities. It shocked the buck enough that he could not move very well. The Long Rifle shot was placed correctly and worked.

It just goes to show that "enough gun" ain't enough by itself. You got to use it correctly also.

MANY FOLKS THINK THEY CAN BUY SKILL

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 13:49 (511 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

IT MUST BE LEARNED.

I learned a while back..

AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
[subject]
Thursday, December 01, 2022, 06:56 (510 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

that not only should one "use enough gun", one should also carry enough ammo. You don't plan to muff a shot, but "stuff happens" and having spare ammo on hand is a good thing. I'd rather carry a box of ammo through the woods and back home and not need it than to be left without any ammo with something that needs shot close at hand. Shucks, recently I only took three pellets with me to go put an end to a marauding rat. Ended up having to send my wife upstairs to bring down the tin as I couldn't get a clear shot at the critter and body hits weren't in immediately fatal places. Note to self: carry enough ammo!

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.

Carrying extra ammo.

Jared S
[subject]
Thursday, December 01, 2022, 07:12 (510 days ago) @ AmBraCol

If I am carrying anything in the .308, .30-06 family I normally keep a 8 round Garand en block clip loaded in my bag. It keeps the ammo together and is about as compact of a container as you can find.

The father of a good friend was Airborne in WWII

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, December 01, 2022, 08:37 (510 days ago) @ Jared S

and jumped into France for D Day. A photo of him a little later in the war shows him carrying a Tommy gun and wearing a 1911 and a Luger. He has several belts of ammo slung over his shoulders.

My friend asked him, "Dad. Why so many guns and so much ammo?" and he replied, "If you ever run out during a firefight .. and IF you survive, you will never run out again if you can help it!"

Words of wisdom...

AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
[subject]
Thursday, December 01, 2022, 16:56 (510 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

from someone who'd "seen the elephant"!

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.

That is great advice.

Jared S
[subject]
Friday, December 02, 2022, 08:21 (509 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -