Made some flat top 22 LR rounds this evening .

John W
[subject]
Friday, January 20, 2023, 17:32 (459 days ago)

The plan is to go out tomorrow for a gray squirrel hunt. But there are coyotes as well as other game around. So I took a box 0f CCI Velocitor rounds and modified them for small game and possible varmint use.

Hopefully I will be able to report back sometime tomorrow as to how well they work on something larger.

I shot Javelina with flat-nosed .22 standard velocity loads

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, January 20, 2023, 17:57 (459 days ago) @ John W

in my yard. Dropped one in the yard .. he ran 6 or 7 feet after I hit him. Bullet penetrated right lung above the heart punched through to the hide on the left side.

Shot another square in the chest as it was facing me. It turned and ran maybe 25 yards before piling up.

Federal has a 22 punch bullet too

Howard
[subject]
Saturday, January 21, 2023, 11:55 (458 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Just picked up a box of these which I’ll load my Bearcat with for woods walking
https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfire/personal-defense-punch-rimfire/11-PD22L1.html

The flat nose modification works on everything up to large

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, January 20, 2023, 18:18 (459 days ago) @ John W

coyote. I have heard from a lot of folks that use our Flattop Tool on everything up to large Javelina and coyote. On small game like squirrel it cuts the animal in half. Not much left if you are planning on eating it. On rabbits there is nothing left but the hind quarters.

I'm planning to use a Super 16 barrel.

John W
[subject]
Friday, January 20, 2023, 18:27 (459 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

So it should produce the most velocity.

It will be interesting to see how this endeavor pans out. For ages, Massachusetts gray squirrel season ended on January 2nd of the new year. Why a day after the first? I have no clue.

Now they changed all of the small game regulations. All rabbits, snowshoe hare and gray squirrels can be hunted to the last day of February.

So I may do a mini trip.

All rabbits, both Cottontail and Jack Rabbits are considered

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, January 20, 2023, 18:48 (459 days ago) @ John W

varmints in Arizona and can be hunted year round.

Same here in New Mexico

steve todd
[subject]
Friday, January 20, 2023, 20:18 (459 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Along with coyotes and feral hogs. No license required either, for residents.

one of our regulars in North Carolina shot a black

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, January 20, 2023, 18:46 (459 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

bear with a 22 LR run thru our Flattop Tool. Hit him in the side of the head and lights out. He told me not to mention it on here as rimfire rounds are illegal for "big game" there. So I didn't mention it here.

Last year squirrel’s got into my blueberrys

Blake
[subject]
Saturday, January 21, 2023, 16:34 (458 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

So I have been reduced the population some. I have taken something in the mid 40’s so far. All out of my backyard. Use the flattop tool on the CCI reduced noise rounds. They run 710 fps and are pretty quiet. They pass through with out blowing them up. Be a great combo for gathering them up for Brunswick stew.

Go get 'em John!

WB
[subject]
Saturday, January 21, 2023, 09:08 (458 days ago) @ John W

The flat pointer works wonderfully. Great concept, Gary's tool makes it easy. The soap shooting was a simple way to capture a comparative snapshot of the energy transfer. I remember them doing it pre-WWII trying various handgun rounds of the day. It was at least a consistent medium for a partial scientific test.

The penetration would be interesting to compare, in a scientific setting, as its thought the flat tip creates a shock wave that runs before the bullet pushing things out of the way for a better and straight penetration. Real gel type test media is expensive and difficult to manage for multiple test runs.

The SIG line of ammo now uses a flat meplat for their FMJ ammo. That is what I carry for 9mm, the 147 gr. It probably penetrates too much but I hope I never use it in a crowded setting. It's more likely to be used on the farm against game.

Good luck, I have high hopes!