Update on the old H&R

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, March 14, 2023, 06:43 (407 days ago)

I was shooting the H&R with some test loads and it locked up on me. I could not move the hammer forward or backward. Taking the gun apart I found the spring on the cylinder hand had broken and gotten into the lockworks.

While messing with it I overstressed the mainspring and the end broke off.

So I ordered a new mainspring and cylinder hand. The mainspring arrived yesterday and I installed it and it works fine. I fired the gun just to see how the spring was working. Without a cylinder hand I simply cocked the hammer, carefully rolled the cylinder around until it was against the cylinder stop and then pulled the trigger. It worked fine.

A friend had sent me a cylinder hand that had a broken spring (I think it must be common with these guns) and I decided to see if I could re-spring it. Using an old Colt SAA hand spring that was broken, I finally got it put together. Now all I need to do is shorten it to the correct length.

Since I have a new hand coming, this will give me a backup. Always a good thing to have with old beat up cheap guns. :-)

My repair job on the cylinder hand. It's a little bitty thing.
[image]

Note the new hammer spring
[image]

When you start a job, you sure as heck stick with it

james
[subject]
Tuesday, March 14, 2023, 12:44 (407 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Gotta take your fun where you find it!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, March 14, 2023, 12:54 (407 days ago) @ james

Power levels ... H&R Auto Eject .38 S&W All loads fired into a 2x4 from about 16" .. all measured to the base of the bullet.

95 gr. cast RN 2.7 gr. Bullseye .435" to base of bullet
[image]

.375" pure lead round ball 3.0 gr. Bullseye .485" to base of bullet
[image]

124 gr. cast 9mm 2.5 gr. Bullseye .537" to base of bullet
[image]

Here`s to one "shootin son of a gun".....

james
[subject]
Tuesday, March 14, 2023, 19:12 (407 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -