Carrying While Doing The Morning Chores

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 07:16 (367 days ago)

[image]

[image]

I like to carry the Single Six that Gary shortened the barrel on when I am out in the morning. Loaded with HP ammo if I have a coon or a possum in the trap it settles them down quickly. The gun is easy to carry, out of the way and right at hand.

I carry it in a Simply Rugged holster by Rob Leahy on a nice wide belt that was originally a tool belt. It holds it firmly and doesn't allow the holster to squirm around.

Temperature right at 50° yesterday so

JT
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 08:07 (367 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I spent some time out in the workshop casting. BUT who knows what these are?

[image]

WOW, I bet the ones that look heeled

WB
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 08:59 (367 days ago) @ JT

w/o lube grooves are for C&B revolvers, the little ones maybe .31's? The far right looks like .32 Colts to me.

I own a unique Martini Cadet that had it's chamber hogged out to .32-20. But the bore is still .321". I found some folks making heeled .321" 120's so I shorten the .32-20 and seat the heeled bullets where they fit the throats. The accuracy is acceptable but I think I need to spice it up a bit to make it really shoot tight.

260 GR. .44 DRAGOON; 147 GR.

JT
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 11:33 (367 days ago) @ WB

.36 RICHMOND; 226 GR. .36 COLT CARTRIDGE--ALL CONICALS FOR PERCUSSION SIXGUNS.

The ones on the left look like the .44 Colt #430185

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 09:03 (367 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

260 .44 DRAGOON FROM AN

JT
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 11:38 (367 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

ORIGINAL DESING OF THE PRE-CIVIL WAR ERA. ALL OF THESE AND MORE ARE AVAILABLE FROM ERAS GONE BULLET MOLDS AND ARE FROM DC CUSTOM LEE MOLDS. I ALSO HAVE THE JOHNSTON AND DOW .44; THE KERR .44 AND THE .31 80 GR.COLT MADE MILLIONS OF CIVIL WAR PAPER CARTRIDGES USING THE.36 FOR THE UNION FORCES IN THE CIVIL WAR. ALSO.44s FOR THE COLT 1860 AND REMINGTON NEW MODEL ARMY.

These are the bullets for the .44 Colt ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 11:56 (367 days ago) @ JT

The belt is a great idea, I think I have one someplace

WB
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 08:38 (367 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

You look like you've slimmed down some! You haven't been sick have you?

Changed my eating habits starting back in July

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 09:01 (367 days ago) @ WB

I have lost 60 pounds so far and gone down several sizes in clothing. Went from 40 inch waist to 35. The belly fat is the hardest to lose but it's going ... slowly.

Fantastic on the slimming down, that is a really

Mike H.
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 10:11 (367 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

commendable loss. I am wearing the Ruger Alaskan around the place this morning in a Galco high ride, just because I can. It still is rather like wearing a loaf of bread stuffed with 3/4s of a bag of sugar, but actually carries quite well on my regular harness leather belt.

IN MY LEFT SHIRT POCKEY IS MY ALWAYS

JT
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 11:40 (367 days ago) @ Mike H.

.22 SHORT FIVE SHOT MINI-GUN LOADED WITH HPs.

John is not kidding either. He took me out to breakfast one

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 12:31 (366 days ago) @ JT

morning years ago and as I got out of his truck at the restaurant I mentioned to John that I was carrying and asked him if he was carrying a gun. He said no, then after a small pause he said I am carrying 3 guns. He made me feel naked with only my PD in 45. But at that time John was carrying that little mini revolver as one of his 3 everyday carry guns.
John changed the way I see things while I was with him for those 3 or 4 days. I now carry a 45, a 22 magnum, a 25 auto, a 22 LR, another 45 and from time to time a couple of other guns, normally not all these at the same time but at least 2. My little Budischowsky 25 auto sits in a pocket in the top of my cowboy boot. A 25 auto ain't much of a self defense gun but is better that a kick in the nuts. It is a small stainless steel double action 5 shot 25 auto and I sort of feel naked without it.
[image]
[image]

John also gave an idea or two about guns for the house. He mentioned for a hideout gun in the bathroom (if a bad guy comes in to do you harm he isn't going to wait til you flush to do so) but John mentioned the stainless steel Charter Arms 44 special as being perfect for a potty gun. Since then I have been trying to find one or two.
It's good to pay attention to someone that is smarter that you. You never know when you might learn something. John has been around the block several times and is a good person to pay attention to.

I don't even count my old polished NAA mini WMR

Mike H.
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 12:51 (366 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

with yellowed ivory grips, 30yrs of always having it with me has it counted about as much as how much change I have in my pockets. It is there so much that I wonder if I would remember having it if I needed it.

Yep, you guys have made a believer

Grover Sr
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 12:51 (366 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Out of me. I primarily carry a Glock 43x, Glock 48 and a Kimber micro 9. I keep spare magazines for all in bot vehicles and have two of the three on me when I go out and the third at hand in the vehicle!

Supposed to be a very well made little gun.

Lymey
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 17:03 (366 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I've kinda always wanted the "Boomer" 44 spl

Derek
[subject]
Sunday, March 19, 2023, 07:20 (366 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I had one for a while. Rough and crude, recoil

Mike H.
[subject]
Sunday, March 19, 2023, 08:06 (366 days ago) @ Derek

was along the lines of +P in an Airweight, DA was Richter scale, and of course no ability to aim nor any way to shoot SA for more precise point shooting.
I would still have it had it possessed a front sight and provision for SA with a bobbed hammer, but it too crude to go through trouble/expense of adding those features. But, that last comment a personal call.
As an fyi, it's loaded weight tied the G43.
PS-it has a heavier hammer spring to fire with the lightened hammer, and a swap to standard spring would not fire in my gun.

Congratulation Jim!

ChrisG
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 11:22 (367 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

I'VE GOT THE 1ST 20# OFF

JT
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 11:39 (367 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Good work!! Keep it up.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 11:53 (367 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

That ain't hay, either.

Mike H.
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 14:09 (366 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

What? Not packing the H&R?

ChrisG
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 11:22 (367 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Still working on it ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 12:00 (367 days ago) @ ChrisG

Awaiting parts that were shipped Monday but have not yet arrived.

I regret, for your sake, throwing mine away,

Mike H.
[subject]
Saturday, March 18, 2023, 13:43 (366 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

not sure if same variation, mine was originally my farmer grandfather's who bought it strictly for carry to and from the shipyards during the war. He was not a gun lover, they were tools just like his only other gun, a singleshot Eastern 12ga. The H&R later broke, much later my dad took it apart, and there it stayed in a plastic container from the 1960s until I ended up with it 15-20yrs ago, and it finally was trashed as neither I, nor anyone else including local smiths, had any interest in the thing.