On The Range With the 3rd Model Dragoon

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 06:19 (400 days ago)

Wednesday it dried out a bit and my friend Jared and I got out on the Range with our blackpowder guns. I had not yet tested any of the paper cartridges I had made. I found they worked really well and sure made loading on the Range much easier and faster! I had both round ball and conicals loaded. The home made conicals were harder to load, requiring more effort than the round ball.

[image]
Round ball loads on the left ... conicals on the right. I had 40 rounds total loaded that I shot on Wednesday.

Both shot well.

[image]

How much powder capacity are you losing with paper?

Mike H.
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 06:34 (400 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Not how much capacity lost compared to a max charge, but how much capacity lost with paper, compared to what you would normally shoot minus paper. I know most C&B pistols do better for a variety of reasons with less than max loads. Also, how did it compare as for reliable function?

I am not sure of the "loss" ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 07:22 (400 days ago) @ Mike H.

The measure I am using is 40 grains of 3Fg. The Dragoon holds a lot more and from the depth that the ball seats, it's obvious that quite a bit larger charge could be used.

As far as reliability, out of 40 rounds I had one fail to fire. Using a nipple pick cleaned it up and a new cap fired it. That failure to fire was after about 35 / 36 rounds.

When I cleaned the gun I found quite a bit of unburned paper in all the chambers. I was surprised at the amount that came out of them.

CIGARETE ROLLING PAPER OR HOME

JT
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 07:25 (400 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

PERMANENTB PAPER BURNS BETTER THAN COFFEE FILTER PAPER. I HAVE NOT TRIED NITRATING PAPER BUT THAT APPARENTLY ALSO HELPS THE BURNING.

I am using cigarette paper ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 07:41 (400 days ago) @ JT

and CCI Magnum #11 caps. I am not sure why I had the paper residue but this is the first time I have made any paper cartridges and shot them. The paper in chambers apparently only affected one load after quite a bit of shooting.

I will try a little heavier powder charge and see if that makes any difference.

I was using Goex powder and will try some other types also.

Thank you, gentlemen....The reason I asked

Mike H.
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 08:15 (400 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

as to capacity is that I have read of some ridiculously low charge weights by paper cartridge shooters who never explained why so small a charge, leaving me unsure if it were a choice or necessity.

It seems nitration of the paper would do away with the unburned remnants and offer increased reliability, but if you are getting reliable ignition without the hazard of highly flammable nitrated paper laying about, that sounds pretty good to me.

So far, so good. I am keeping track.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 08:49 (400 days ago) @ Mike H.

- No text -

I use cigarette papers also

steve todd
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 14:12 (399 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I haven’t nitrited cigarette papers, but i am going to try that soon. I haven’t had misfires, but i do get some unburned paper when cleaning.
Hey Jim, try Swiss 3f, i get very small pieces of unburnt paper, that i don’t see until cleaning. Then i find the little pieces in the water.

Thank you Steve. I will.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 14:45 (399 days ago) @ steve todd

- No text -

PAPER DOES NOT DIMINISH CAPACITY

JT
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 07:23 (400 days ago) @ Mike H.

- No text -

Looking great Jim!

WB
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 08:23 (400 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

No one asked or addressed the issue so I'll ask.

What about the lubing once loaded to prevent "flash-over" and chain firing? I had a 10 O'clock chamber fire once in a 3rd. Dragoon that scared me. No harm to anything but you sure knew it.

I was using these, then new, "plastic" under ball wads at the time, which were on the market. Little Plastic Buttons, tan colored if I remember. I figure I forgot to put one under that particular ball. I used to religiously squirt this pink grease in front of the balls to lube them and prevent chain firing.

They make a waxed-wool wad for the same purpose these days. Ox-yoke markets them I believe. They could be incorporated into the paper rounds easily, I'd figure.

I have been using SPG on top of the ball.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 08:48 (400 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I mostly use homemade lube consisting of

JT
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 10:52 (399 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Equal parts of Beeswax and Mutton Tallow. The thicker the lube the less likely it is to blow off the front of the chamber when another chamber is fired. SPG is also good.

LUBE IS FOR LUBING.CHAINFIRES

JT
[subject]
Friday, March 24, 2023, 10:45 (399 days ago) @ WB

ARE PREVENTED BY USING A TIGHT FITTING BALL. IF a ring of lead is not sheared off the round ball when it is seated than the round balls are too small.