My first Reeder revolver...

WB
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 09:17 (332 days ago)

It was an early conversion to .475 LB on a stock Ruger Stainless BH chassis. Grip frame and all. The action was as slick as oiled glass. I was a follower fo the Linebaugh rounds through G&A articles by Ross Seyfried. As written, recoil was horrific! Factory Hornady .475 ammo shot a 400 gr. at 1350 fps, later they backed off a little to 1300 fps. The revolver would spin in my grip and actually cut me to make bleed on a few occasions. The humps on the back of the frame cut my web of the hand and the hammer would ice-pick me too.

[image]

[image]

I bought it from maybe Kelly Brost? The fellow told me a story of shooting a custom .458 Lott Encore handgun, and I think .416 Rigby too. This was 20 yrs. ago. Not many have done that. It was early 2004 that my adventure began. I later sent it back to Gary and had the gun totally reworked with a Gunfightered grip and the gun edges softened, new grips, and a fresh refinish. Both our guns were quad Mag-na-ported too, I did not like the lead it splashed on the sides of the front sight. It was all good and fine then. Doug and I experimented with many loads and I shot some hog with the LEE 400 gr. plain base bullet. We found the later LEE 325 gr. RNGC much more usable at about 1350 fps. My alloy expanded fully without breaking too much, in our sand drum backstop. Foolishly we both sold our .475's to sponsor our custom .510 GNR builds. Doug (my Misfit hunting companion) got a Redhawk conversion and I had a custom Reeder #6 built up, I still have that.

[image]

I cannot find or remember who I sold it to. I think they were a regular Misfit. It was sold about 2010, before an Alaska trip. If I ever find it I probably should try and buy it back.

That's wild

475BISLEY480
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 10:55 (332 days ago) @ WB

Is the blue bisley on the left a 475 too? That thing looks so good

Yep, both are .475 LB.

WB
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 12:05 (332 days ago) @ 475BISLEY480

We used them on the first, 2nd generation HHC in TX. It was later we decided to go "all Reeder" with his customs in .510 GNR cal. The .475 offers some extra versatility with good selection of .480 Ruger stuff and both jacketed and cast bullets. It runs past the heavy .45 Colt by using 400 gr. bullets, and seems less intense than the .454 Casull. The .510 is more difficult to source jacketed bullets, but we seldom use them anyway. In .500 cal. (.500 S&W Short - or whatever they call it, etc.) there are many options. I think GNR has a .500 cal. too.

The .475 LB is still a really good round for normal chassis handguns. I'm not sure what Doug has in the way of large cal. revolvers anymore. That Black Chromex Bisley was about perfect in my mind.

475BISLEY480
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 13:26 (332 days ago) @ WB

Yeah my custom 475 is going to have case hardened frame and grip frame blued unglued cylinder and octagon barrel. Jeweled bisley hammer and stag bisley grip. Along with pp package and action job with free spin pawl. 5 inch barrel and 5 inch ejector rod. Honoring g Mr John linebaugh in the process. What a great guy he was

My favorite personalizations you cited..

WB
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 15:23 (332 days ago) @ 475BISLEY480

The free spin pawl is very useful, the long ejector housing is thought to get and a unique feature. The octagon option is very over the top! My .510 has those with the exception of the long housing. As a serious hunter rug I wanted a little longer barrel, mine’s uniquely 6-1/2” like the factory Rugers. Not many would opt for that on a custom, I thought.

Next year

475BISLEY480
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 15:27 (332 days ago) @ WB

I would like to get a redhawk to send mister Gary to re-caliber

Impressive

475BISLEY480
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 11:47 (332 days ago) @ WB

I would seriously like to get one of the custom 445 super mags one of these days

That blue/black Bisley is exactly what 475 said

james
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 18:58 (331 days ago) @ WB

"IMPRESSIVE"

A couple of others you might like

colleen reeder
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 23:08 (331 days ago) @ james

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image][image]

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
plus a lot more

You need a new Book Gary! About your customs!

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, May 30, 2023, 08:27 (331 days ago) @ colleen reeder

We need a body of work describing the varied custom series for future collecting. While you're here! Your legacy will certainly outlive all of us and collectors will need some niche clarification. The "Reeder Lugers" is a vague chapter that I almost forgot.

Scott, I still have your 475.

Mark Wilson
[subject]
Tuesday, May 30, 2023, 07:40 (331 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

MARK! I'm so glad you spoke up. Couldn't find

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, May 30, 2023, 09:05 (331 days ago) @ Mark Wilson

any emails in my history files relating to it. If you ever decide to trade it off let me know. I might be able to scrounge up some cash to try and bring it home. It is truly on my regret selling list. LOL

Will do.

Mark Wilson
[subject]
Tuesday, May 30, 2023, 09:27 (331 days ago) @ WB

- No text -