The post below triggered some thoughs

John W
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 19:00 (330 days ago)

on an autoloading pistol with a tad more power than normal.

What are your thoughts on the 45 Super? I was poking around on the 'net ( which could be a bad thing) and looking at some data on the round.

So for those with greater experience, what are your thoughts? Thank you.

I was fortunate to shoot Blake's 45 Super at the HHC.

Andy S
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 19:07 (330 days ago) @ John W

It was one hell of a machine. I had Gary convert a full size Sig to 45 Super. Very accurate.Really enjoy the cartridge. Very impressive cartridge without the issues of the 460 Rowland.

Maybe that's the way I need to go.

Coloradoyaler
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 19:54 (330 days ago) @ Andy S

I am sure getting frustrated with the rowland.I don't want something do finicky or unreliable.

The .45 Super case is not really much different

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, May 30, 2023, 09:03 (330 days ago) @ Coloradoyaler

than the .45 ACP that is loaded to much less pressure. I have sectioned cases and it looked the same to me in web thickness. But I'd sure still use them for hot loads. The .451 Detonics pre-dated the Rowland and had just enough extra case length to not fire in a standard gun. The Rowland is basically a continuation of that concept to much higher pressures and even longer case length. Blake brought to my attention the use of "free-bore" lengthening the throat. It's much like Weatherby factory rifles. I experimented with a throating reamer and actually went a bit too far.LOL

With my custom Glock, either .460 Rowland or .45 Super brass (the OAL is the exact same for the cartridge) in my special barrel, the bullet moves about 1/4 - 3/8" before it even engages the rifling. In reality it's almost like a .45 Schofield capacity when the round begins developing actual pressure. I have been using a hefty spring (26#) and a chambered muzzle break too. The Glock does not have the two extra parts hanging off the barrel like the 1911, no small locking lugs engaging the underside of the slide. The big mono-block is what locks it up via the angled under lug. No bushing either. It's rough on the chassis, no doubt, but it does work well. For hunting the few rounds, compared to a target gun, should not beat it up too bad, it just mandates more frequent maintenance. The Rowland brass length rides over the bullet ojive, that is what causes failure to feed issues in 1911s. Glocks eat about anything.

Gary's advice on the big Grizzly mag is good. Probably overall the best semi-auto hunting gun ever produced, considering everything. THe AMP is likely the most exotic and accurate. My son has a Desert Eagle .50 AE, but it's HUGE and I've never felt one with a even fair trigger feel. The Grizzly is big also, but under-stressed on that chassis.

Yes it has some roll crimp, don't ask, just know it's special.
[image]

That's 35 yds. using the 200 gr. SWC plain base gas checked bullets at 1400 fps. The scope was a BAD idea on the poly frame. I bent the mounting pins and it rubbed the top of my slide in actual recoil. I had clearance stationary but it moved in recoil. 6-O'clock round was my sighter shot. I also used a custom reset dis-connector, 5# trigger (3# was mushy), and titanium firing pin. Just for fun.
[image]

I see you are still using those custom

jthomson
[subject]
Tuesday, May 30, 2023, 13:58 (330 days ago) @ WB

target's made over in Benton Arkansas. Scott I found a Colt detective spl in 38 spl and a 2 in barrel listed on one of our local sights asking 500 if you want more info ?

That's a great price. What issue is it?

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, May 31, 2023, 06:35 (329 days ago) @ jthomson

The two earlier issues had an exposed ejector rod, later had an enclosed one, built into the barrel. Great guns but just enough bigger than a J-frame to make size an issue. I'm having trouble finding even used J-frames for less than $500. I've eyeballed some alloy model 38 with encase hammers. But they always go high in the end. Been trying for one with no keyhole. Slow timing lock up is always a concern on old COlts. I used to fit new hands myself but it's hard for me to do that anymore. It takes a lot of slow patience. Much less finding the parts.

here is the link scott

jthomson
[subject]
Wednesday, May 31, 2023, 09:10 (329 days ago) @ WB

here is another one

jthomson
[subject]
Wednesday, May 31, 2023, 10:23 (329 days ago) @ jthomson

Boy I think that an exceptional deal!

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, May 31, 2023, 11:14 (329 days ago) @ jthomson

- No text -

At the time I was getting into powerful semi autos

colleen reeder
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 22:11 (330 days ago) @ John W

I already had several 41 and 44 Auto Mags. The 41 JMP (for Jurras Magnum Pistol as Lee Jurras developed the cartridge) was my favorite of the 3 or 4 Auto Mag cartridges. In fact it was the inspiration for my 41 GNR.

I was extremely fond of the 41 JMP and used it on everything I could. One day while I was draining Lee's brain of all the info I could get about powerful semi auto handguns, I asked Lee if anyone had ever tried necking the 44 Magnum case down to 41 caliber. Lee thought a minute and said as far as he knew nobody had. He said people that wanted to come up with a new wildcat cartridge tried to make it something completely different, like necking the 9.8 Kropotchnick down to 22. He said the 41 on a 44 Mag case was too simple. Me being sort of a simple guy jumped on that and within 2 or 3 weeks I had the first 41 GNR cartridge based on a Contender barrel out and heading to a hunt at the Tellico Junction Preserve. The rest, as they say is history.

But getting back to powerful semi autos, if I had to pick one gun today it would be the L.A.R. Grizzly. This one was simply an overgrown 1911. I used it up in Utah on Bison, in Africa on medium size critters and anything I could get in my sights. It comes from the factory in either 45 Winchester magnum or the 44 Magnum. There are a couple of other calibers available but those 2 will do anything you want done. It runs perfectly in the 45 Win. Mag and a jacketed soft point. My first Bison was taken with that bullet and gun. Kase and I had 5 or 6 at one time in the 45 Win Mag , the 44 magnum and the wildcat 44 mag case necked down to 357. I never could get that one reliable enough to make me happy and it soon found a new home. But if a person wanted something with a lot more power than the 45 Super the 45 Win Mag Grizzly is your baby. And if you tire of it, I will buy it from you.

The above post was by me but I had Colleen to send it

colleen reeder
[subject]
Monday, May 29, 2023, 23:09 (330 days ago) @ colleen reeder

as my computer had taken a dump.

I have hunted with a few auto’s

Blake
[subject]
Tuesday, May 30, 2023, 18:24 (329 days ago) @ John W

And while I really like my 45 super’s, I am with Gary on the LAR Grizzly. By far the best hunting auto. For three reasons. Reliability, accuracy and the right balance of power for close work. The 45 Win Mag will shoot 260 grain jhp to the low to mid 1400’s. A fair amount of parts will exchange with the 1911. So while the gun is out of production it will be serviceable for a long time. My Grizzly has
Ed Brown trigger group and bobtail mainspring housing. [image]