Recently I bought (got raped) some TC parts

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, June 01, 2023, 18:02 (329 days ago)

enough to build 5 Contender/G-2 barrels and 5 Encore barrels. So among all the cartridges out there I get to build barrels in 10 of them.
My question here is this. If someone told you they would give you the Contender barrel of your choice, what caliber would you want it chambered in. Next, if that same someone were to give you an Encore barrel, what caliber would it be chambered in? Now nobody is going to give you a free barrel so don't get all excited. This is just to see what barrels you Misfits would like should that happen. In other words what Contender barrels would you like to see and what Encore barrel would you like to see chambered in what caliber?
This is a semi serious question here. So no off the wall answers like 50 BMG and such.

A few years back I asked the question of what were your favorite songs from the 60s and early 70s and I got answers like "Why don't we do it in the road" by the Beatles or "my ding-a-ling" by Chuck Berry or "Nuts, hot nuts" by Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts. (For you youngsters those 3 songs were actual songs and some were even played on some radio stations.)
So get serious here. Your favorite chambering in the Contender and your favorite chamberings in the Encore.

Contender- 445 Supermag, Encore- 500Lb/510 Gnr or 50 Alaskan

Derek
[subject]
Thursday, June 01, 2023, 18:23 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I always wanted to spring for a .50AK pistol barrel

WB
[subject]
Thursday, June 01, 2023, 22:19 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

with brake of course. In pistol length, not a pirate, not actual carbine. Somewhere in the middle. So I could shoot .510 GNR to .50AK or anything in between. I've got about everything else, but told myself I needed one of those.

I also should have never sold my last .378 GNR Encore pistol barrel. I used it at the Y-O to shoot a nice cull buck. I was sick that year but shot once, at a solid 100+ yds. Bang flop. That was very satisfying. I had it mounted. Still use the .378 in my FA, but that Encore was a solid world conquering rig.

[image]

I have the 50AK pistol barrel on an Encore

MTM
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 08:26 (328 days ago) @ WB

For just that reason Scotty, I have a 475GNR Encore Rifle barrel w/brake ordered for the same reason, to go from .480 Ruger, 475LB, 475MAX, and the .475GNR.

That 475 Gnr would be a good one too!

Derek
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 11:22 (328 days ago) @ MTM

- No text -

Hmm. Contender: 6.5 Falcon,7&30 GNR

John W
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 03:27 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

But with long barrels like 15 inch.

For the Encore, I currently have a 3006 and await a return from Burris before I do some testing and practice for a November hunt in North Carolina.

I'd say something along the lines of a 270, 30 or the like for the Encore.

Recently I bought (got raped) some TC parts - Gary Reeder,

Rawly
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 06:38 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

30 GNR 14in stainless steel

your .357, one of the .44s-? then maybe a 7mmGNR

Lynn41
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 07:01 (328 days ago) @ Rawly

a 6.5ish? 25.cal...Rounds simple to make as you are a custom guy. or Factory .357? .44--last a reasonable big guy--.500 GNR? and hay maybe the .41 GNR

I have never owned one but I think I would like a Contender

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 06:42 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

in .22 Hornet with an extra barrel in .22 Magnum.

The Old Contenders were so far ahead of their time

WB
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 07:18 (328 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

The interchangeability aspect is taken for granted but a marvel owed to Eli Whitney himself. The 10" Octagon is such a nice light rig with the flats adding rigidity for the bulk. They weigh about what a big revolver does. Adding a period Bushnell Phantom 2.5X makes a sweet 3-1/2 lb. hunting gun. Even with a full diameter 10" as Steve Herrett and Bob Milek used in the mid 1970's were handy and true "Handguns". The advent of the .357 Herrett and metallic target shooting spawned the "Super 14", where things started to get wild into the mid 1980's. When the Encore came things got really over the top. The G2 Contender is more or less a miniaturized Encore with the two firing pin addition. Probably the very best platform produced. The 5 lb. Contender kits are very fine serious hunting guns. Encores will weigh 6 lbs. fully rigged with a good scope, more than many mountain bolt carbine rigs!

The original concept set up for small game, as you describe is still desirable. I made a "resto-mod" from an old 1974 vintage TC and a "new" Reeder 10" barrel in .255 Banshee, I also have the .240 Banshee but in 12" stainless. I did have to modify a vintage forend to fit the full bull barrels. Both on the K-Hornet Improved case perform beyond their size and give reasonable case life. I'd highly recommend a K Hornet chamber over a regular Hornet as they shred cases in short order, case head separations. You can find the .22 Long rifle or Hornet barrels reasonable now as they are overlooked many times. Both are .224" bores and can be re-chambered to .22 WMR, Hornet, .218 Bee, whatever. Even paying for the re-chambering it's likely less than finding a barrel in those calibers.

[image]

[image]

Nice. But I doubt I will try to get one.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 07:59 (328 days ago) @ WB

I am too set in my ways and comfortable with them. :-)

The only singleshot handguns with scopes that I ever messed with was the Dominator. One in .44 Magnum and one loaned to me by Hal Swiggett in ... 7mm-08 I believe it was. He had 10 loads for it that would shoot under an inch at 100 yards. It gave 270 Winchester rifle velocities from the handgun. Both it and the Dominator were extremely accurate but I have always preferred the sixgun.

If you decide to get a Contender, get one of the G-2 models

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 13:04 (328 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

instead of the Contender. They are so far ahead of the old Contender and almost equal to the Encore. When the G-2 first came out I used one on an Africa hunt and that sold me. I had one of my 378 GNRs and one of the 338 GNR along with my little 9" 41 GNR in the G-2 and they did everything I asked them to. When I got back I began to weed out most of my Encore frames except for a couple that I run some "large" calibers in, like the 450 GNR and 476 GNR. The loads I run in these two barrels are too "warm" for the G-2 but just barely.
I think guys that are jumping on the old original Contender (serial number under 225,000) are not knowing that this version of the Contender is not the best model ever made. When we were young and the Contender was younger the bad sides of the Contender like hard to open, hard to get the locking pin out, not working with some barrels with low serial numbers and so on were overlooked due to it being a great new handgun for hunting. Even with it's flaws it was still the best hunting handgun on the market. But buying one in that serial number range these days is probably not the best way to go unless you are a collector. I saw 2 of these early guns yesterday that a collector would go crazy over. But they were a bitch to open and most of the newer barrels would not fit the frame.
In the later days Thompson Center solved all the Contender problems. You could send the action back to TC and for around $50 they would put the easy open system in the gun and clean up the other down falls that had plagued the gun for years. Unfortunately, TC is no longer around. They may come back, or may not. But the G-2 frame solved those problems except the problem of some of the older barrels not fitting and working on the G-2 frame. Even with that the G-2 is still the finest all around frame TC ever designed.
The Encore is the strongest frame TC has ever made but you have to accept the extra weight to go along with the strength. If you are not planning on getting into some of our extra hot and higher pressure calibers, then go with the G-2. It is that simple. Most of my frames these days are the G-2 and other than the hotter calibers I mentioned above the G-2 will do everything I need it to.

So, are you saying

IC
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 14:50 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

that I shouldn't get too attached to my original four digit serial numbered Contender?

Not really. I might have insinuated that I would rather

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 16:16 (328 days ago) @ IC

have a sister in a whore house than an early Contender. But that's just me.

is yours a slabside like mine

carl hackney
[subject]
Saturday, June 03, 2023, 16:35 (327 days ago) @ IC

#157x made in the very first run [image]summer of 1967

Mine is a little newer and has the cat on it.

IC
[subject]
Saturday, June 03, 2023, 20:26 (326 days ago) @ carl hackney

- No text -

The world needs more 7GNR barrels,

Darryl T.
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 09:19 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

And I also think a 50 Alaskan would be handy. But I sometimes travel a different path. I have a couple of 16" barrels with a Leupold QD base. Have both ler and rifle scopes at the ready to mount depending on how I want to hunt. Makes for a handy package.
I wouldn't want a barrel that takes unobtanium brass or bullets. At least Starline is taking backorders for 50 Alaskan.

Contender for Smaller Game Culling

Burban
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 09:45 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I won't call it hunting but some of us sometimes need to cull nuisance, invasive, or destructive animals. We also live at the edge of town or otherwise have neighbors closer than we wished.
For this purpose, I'd like a 32 S&W with a 10+ inch barrel. Load it up or down as necessary. Balls or 85-100 grain bullets have more punch than 22LR with imperfect hits.

Contender

Paul
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 10:26 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

would be 256 Falcon. Encore 410 GNR

Simple - 338 GNR and 30 GNR easy to load and accurate.

Sean Harper
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 11:21 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

My choices too, Thanks Sean

steve todd
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 12:51 (328 days ago) @ Sean Harper

- No text -

My picks also!

Larryh
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 15:14 (328 days ago) @ steve todd

- No text -

457 GNR & 475 GNR encore pistol

Ron Orbeck
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 11:52 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I Simply don’t have these and seems they are interesting with the easiest components to find. A 445 contender barrel would make a good test barrel as I’ve always wanted to have one and the 44 is my wife’s choosen caliber.

257 Raptor and 338 GNR

Randy Barnett
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 14:48 (328 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

256 Falcon and 277 GNR

Grover Sr
[subject]
Friday, June 02, 2023, 18:31 (327 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Contender 256 Falcon, Encore. 277 GNR

361 Falcon

DinCA