What is your Sunday-Go-To-Meeting Gun?

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, June 04, 2023, 05:51 (327 days ago)

What do you choose to carry to Church? Or would carry if you went?

I choose the Star PD or the 1911 ... or both.

[image]

Excellent choices.

SPB
[subject]
Sunday, June 04, 2023, 08:17 (327 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

the one I just took off after packing it all

jthomson
[subject]
Sunday, June 04, 2023, 14:16 (327 days ago) @ SPB

morning was my Sig 365 XL

A straw and a spitwad,

Darryl T.
[subject]
Sunday, June 04, 2023, 09:26 (327 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Anything more than that here in NY will get you incarcerated. Now that I think about it probably the spitwad would too.

Cowboy Church

Paul
[subject]
Sunday, June 04, 2023, 09:41 (327 days ago) @ Darryl T.

I go to Mustang Mountain Cowboy Church. I don't carry because everyone else does. It's awesome

Wish i had that!

steve todd
[subject]
Monday, June 05, 2023, 11:15 (326 days ago) @ Paul

I’m the one armed man at mine (as far as i know).

380 Lcp Pocket, Taurus G2s 40sw or 709 9mm

Derek
[subject]
Sunday, June 04, 2023, 11:47 (327 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

If it's winter my 1911 45.

Church gun

475BISLEY480
[subject]
Sunday, June 04, 2023, 14:49 (327 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

It's my EDC but it's a ruger super redhawk alaskan. I carry 45 colt +p in it though.
I am the drummer for a church in one of the worst parts of Jackson ms. So can't ever be too careful. I have an old style pachmayr shorter grip on it. [image]
Inside the waist band about 4 o'clock in a cheap comfortable nylon double clip ebay pancake style holster.

Nice. I like that!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, June 04, 2023, 16:57 (327 days ago) @ 475BISLEY480

- No text -

That's a teeny Pachmayr, which model?

WB
[subject]
Monday, June 05, 2023, 13:18 (326 days ago) @ 475BISLEY480

The GP100, SRH (not std. RH), and SP101 are all pretty close on the gripframe. Is that one for a GP100?

Yes it's for the gp100

475BISLEY480
[subject]
Monday, June 05, 2023, 14:37 (326 days ago) @ WB

I don't know if they make it anymore. They probably make something almost like it still but I bought it off of ebay a few months ago. It's called the compact i believe.

Depends on if there is an extra Holiday that week

steve todd
[subject]
Sunday, June 04, 2023, 19:04 (327 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Extra Holiday or around something like 9-11 i carry the 7.5BRNO, regular Sunday Holiday, 5.7 Ruger. If i’m feeling lazy or poorly G43.

I've been working on that...

WB
[subject]
Monday, June 05, 2023, 06:20 (326 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Spurred on by my poor accuracy, shooting my under-powered Micro .380, the next up was a .40 by the same maker. Kahr is a love or hate brand. They are basically a flat DA only semi-auto. It won't accidentally shoot or go off if dropped, you won't have an A.D. fishing it out of a pocket, it s deliberate action to fire, I like that. They are light and reliable if you don't limp wrist. The .40 you can't! The DA pull is engineered to be smooth, and consistent, the best there is. I like it.

[image]

I have a wonderful Mika pocket holster I've used for years. It's cut for Dockers or Jeans pockets. It's actually a 2" Revolver model but firs my semi-autos well enough. I ordered what I thought was a used Kahr P40. I actually got a hybrid model called a "Covert". It is a P40 top on a smaller PM40 bottom. They only made it a few years. It's only about 1/2-3/4" longer than a PM40 but it sure shoots good, I can really hit with it.

I have been experimenting with carrying it in my front pocket. Since the gun is basically the same size as a 2" revolver it's not too bad, and even flatter. The .40 is very powerful no matter what anyone else says and I get about 1100 fps from this pocket gun with the 165 gr. JHP. My 200 gr. cast at 1000 fps are very brutal to shoot. I feel lots more confident and better armed carrying this over the .380. I don't think it prints too badly. At church I stand a lot doing my duties, teaching, ushering, etc. Walking down the isle in front of everyone I don't need a bulging pocket with a mass swinging around. It seems to work. I load it with 5 in the mag and a chambered round, plus an extra 6-shot mag in the other pocket alongside my Swiss army knife. I feel pretty well equipped.

[image]

[image]

I still want a lightweight snubby .38 but this has slowed my search to wait for a good deal. I also found a real PM40 for a deal too but is that extra shortness really worth my effort? I figure the Kahr PM40 is about the most powerful, accurate, smallest, domestic, pocket gun you can buy. The longer Covert model is close enough, and I shoot it very well.

[image]

I cleaned up an abused Kahr .45

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, June 05, 2023, 06:51 (326 days ago) @ WB

and I have to agree about the trigger. They have a long pull but very smooth and easy to shoot pretty well with. I have tried various other striker-fired guns and have yet to shoot one with a trigger I could abide.

[image]

First shots with it.

[image]

That's a CW model with traditional rifled barrel

WB
[subject]
Monday, June 05, 2023, 08:16 (326 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

It's great for cast bullet shooting. Fancier models are Polygonal rifled and really need bigger cast bullet diameters to perform best. I found by toying with my PM45 that cheap Mil-Spec. type 1911 mags seem to work in my gun. The fancy types, 8-shot etc. won't work. Trial and error.

The CW models also use those staked front plastic sights. But I've never seen one broken off. Other are dovetailed. That's a tell from across the room. You can get a real deal if you shop around. The single stack stigma hurts them I think.

This army fellow remarked that a handgun is one notch above a good knife in combat. You use your rifle to fight, the rest is only for emergency back up. He's right for going into a fight. CCW you don;t really expect to use it but what if?!! One might still need some serious consideration. The P40 Covert and PM45 are my serous "comfort" CCW guns. For more serous work I use a G19 or G30s. Semi-autos are too easy too grab and go.

Karh 9 if I do

Lynn41
[subject]
Monday, June 05, 2023, 10:22 (326 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -