Perhaps you have seen this, interesting study of

WB
[subject]
Thursday, November 16, 2023, 08:56 (253 days ago)

trajectory. There are many variables like height of sights over bore etc. I once had a 20" carry handle AR that I found a 100 yd. zero with that 4" above bore line sight (on the carry handle) also hit dead on at 250 yds. or so!

[image]

WB, I can't see the damn target at 300yds

Winnturner48
[subject]
Thursday, November 16, 2023, 10:15 (253 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Around here that’s a very far piece! But out west

WB
[subject]
Thursday, November 16, 2023, 11:46 (253 days ago) @ Winnturner48

I’m sure it’s close up! Thank goodness for optics.

Yep

Winnturner48
[subject]
Thursday, November 16, 2023, 14:28 (253 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Whether it is "out west" or in the Arkansas jungle

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, November 16, 2023, 14:42 (253 days ago) @ WB

300 yards is still way too long for open sights. Yes there are options for taking a long range shot but we have to take that long range into consideration. Just like most of my shots back in Tennessee deer hunting were well under 100 yards and even the soy bean field shots were also probably under 150 yards, so it goes out here in the west. The deer and elk don't just stand out there at 400 yards and stick their tongues out at us. They have been hunted and stay in heavy brush or fairly dense woods for the most part. Other than the wannabe snipers who take shots at 800 yards or more, most hunters out here are good sportsmen and don't take those long shots.
Yes we have the potential to take some long shots but one has to look at the ballistic tables before he goes out looking for elk. A 180 grain 30 caliber at max velocities and dead on at 100 drops 58" at 500 yards and 105" at 600 yards. Even that miracle cartridge the 6.5 Creedmoor that all wannabe snipers use with a 140 grain bullet at max velocities and dead on at 100 will drop 20" at 300 yards, 45" at 500 yards and 143" AT 600 YARDS. One of these clowns was in the gun shop with his buddies bragging about his 6.5 miracle cartridge and told his buddies that the 6.5 Creedmoor shot flat to 800 yards. Colleen got the Hornady book of ballistics and showed this idiot a drop of well over 250 inches at 800 yards. Of course he claimed that book was outdated and his Creedmoor would shoot flat at that range because he saw it on the internet.
Anyway yes we have the option of taking some long shots out here but a good hunter doesn't take those shots. I have passed up some 200 yard shots at elk but with a handgun those are iffy shots and that elk, even wounded, could be in the next county by the time I walked the 200 yards to where I think he was when I took the shot.
So back east or out west those real long shots are not the best shots to take.

A lot of the Javelina I took were shot at feet .. not yards

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, November 16, 2023, 14:51 (253 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I figured if I could keep my shots inside an inch at 30 feet I'd do well to get as close as possible. One Javelina I shot with the 454 and 300 gr. bullet, not because of the power but because of the accuracy. I got close and put it in her left eye, which was right where I wanted it. Maybe a 25 foot shot.

[image]

When I was hunting with my Auto Mags I had to really

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, November 16, 2023, 17:22 (253 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

watch my shots. The 44 Auto Mag was good to 50 yards or so. The 41 Auto Mag, which was my favorite, was good for a bit more due to the smaller lighter weight bullet. But I still had to watch my shots. I am no good at estimating the ranges so I just watched my shots. If my front sight covered most of the animal then I was too far from the animal. Later on I solved that problem by scoping my 41 Auto Mag.
Hunting with my Contenders in 30 Herrett I felt good out to 200 yards but I had a scope and the round was fast and flat shooting. But nowhere in my hunting with any of my handguns did 300 yards enter into my head. It was just too far for an accurate shot.
I hate tree stands but I sat down in the woods near my house with a big brush pile behind me to break up my profile and on more than one instance I had deer munching on acorns and walk up to within 15 feet of me and as long as I sat still they wandered away still munching on acorns. And I had no camo on either as camo wasn't available back then. But black jeans and a tan or brown shirt seemed to do what $400 worth of camo would do today. On more than one instance I let a couple of does walk up to within 10 or 15 feet feeding on munchies. Then I would make an ungodly screeching sound and the deer would jump 5 feet in the air and haul ass. I am sure they went back to the herd and told their buddies that there were monsters back there and they barely escaped with their lives. They probably didn't shit right for a week.

Anyway just to agree with Jim on close shots on deer and other animals.