Speaking of casting!

James Simpson
[subject]
Monday, November 20, 2023, 18:08 (249 days ago)

I spoke to Mark Connor early last June about MP molds and asked his thoughts. I'm set up to cast but know NOTHING about it and I wanted his input for a cast bullet in the 300 GNR. I finally got him the mold Saturday and these are the pics he texted me. I can't wait to shoot them. [image][image]

That is a fantastic .300 GNR, .300 AAC, .32-20 bullet

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, November 21, 2023, 08:09 (248 days ago) @ James Simpson

For the .300 GNR I like the heavy nose to allow more capacity in the case. I personally didn't have as much luck with LilGun as I did H110/296. Some did well with AA#9 too. 4227 was good, just a little slower.

Lee has a 113 gr. mould for the .30 Carbine that is really great IF you can find one. You can also "size down" many .311 bullets to .309" in a LEE sizer, even jacketed.

[image]

I also modded some moulds by cutting the tops out of them. I did a 150 gr. with limited success, making a 120 with a long nose. I use the lube groove as a gas check shank. It can be sanded or reamed to fit perfectly. I did make a great 215 gr. .375 bullet for some GNR applications as well as cut down the big .51 cal. bullets to suit the .510 GNR revolver. The 450 made a grand 410 gr. FNGC and the 500 was cut from 375 t0 325 grs in several plain base and gas check styles. Back when you could get a double cavity LEE mould with handles for $20-25!

[image]

[image]

I used the .510 GNR and a 410 gr. modded buffalo gun projectile to take a small Bison at HHC. Mimic of Gary's experiences published in his book the bullet zipped through both sides (three times, two shoulder shots and one neck finisher) like hot butter at a moderate 1050 -1100 fps. You don't need to get crazy throwing a one ounce slug!

[image]

[image]

I also took sheep with the .300 GNR at HHC. I highly suggest a HP or expanding bullet for that application. The .30 cal is a small bore and unless you get some hydraulic energy transfer it just pokes holes. Not as humane. To do it again I'd probably use a XTP Hornady 100 gr. Ditto for Whitetails. I'm also glad I DID NOT try it on hogs. I was a little over excited about realistic demands on the great little round.

The 300 GNR is just an Improved 30 Herrett.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, November 21, 2023, 13:22 (248 days ago) @ WB

Kase and I had used the 30 Herrett in a Contender on several hunts from Tennessee to Kentucky to Washington state on animals the size of a large deer and it just plain worked. I wanted the same cartridge but in a revolver. Doing a bit of creative engineering I came up with the 300 GNR. Same power but in a cylinder. There are quite a few folks using the 300 GNR all over the country. We mostly used the jacketed 125 grain soft point at over 2000 in a revolver but on smaller deer size critters we duplicated the 30 Herrett with a 110 grain jacketed soft point at almost 2200.