Found some old pics of another project.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 11, 2024, 14:38 (166 days ago)

Seems I had some "used" .30-0 brass from another project. Looks like .30 GNR gone bad. But not much waste around me. I goofed around and found I could make full cylinder length .41 Remington Magnum "shot loads". I probably used some .40 cal. gas check or something close for a top wad. Now days I fashion thin card wads and top off with hot glue. Works much better.

I don't remember the shot size, distance was only 15-20', but it worked. Velocity on he pellets runs upwards to around 1500 fps so it's actually a little faster than most shotgun shells. Whatever it hits makes no distinction from a 10 gauge!
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

You sure can't buy any .41 Mag. shotshells so it's relatively easy to make some from scrap cases. I even made some for the .45 Colt revolver from .270 Win., I think. The idea borrowed from Lee Jurras Handgun Hunting book where they were making a shotgun from the .45 ACP Colt New Service 1909. They used a smoothbore barrel to much better effect pre-NFA worries. I had to do some tricks to get the headspace right on the "shoulder" but once formed they worked too! I use a tuft of dacron under the shot. Some type of plastic around the shot column is best as the shot "naked" will lead the rifling, if you shoot very many.

That's cool WB. Funny story about shot shells

Brad Barnett
[subject]
Sunday, February 11, 2024, 15:46 (166 days ago) @ WB

I had some sapsuckers hammering my cedar siding and found some for 44 mag. I heard one going at it one Sunday morning early and slipped around the house and took a pop shot. Runt that section of siding. The bird was plastered in it. Lesson learned.

Good old American ingenuity.... My hat is

JFS
[subject]
Sunday, February 11, 2024, 18:55 (166 days ago) @ Brad Barnett

off to you Scotty Boy;-)

I have used larger shot, #5 actually as thats

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 11, 2024, 19:07 (166 days ago) @ JFS

What I had. Later I see CCI came out with “red capsule” shot loads with larger shot, #4 or #6! As I also found, the larger shot kept much tighter patterns and might take a bit larger critter like a big rabbit to 10-15 yds. I found this by shooting into the pond surface and videoing it to examine. The .45 Colt full cylinder length was pretty formidable!

As mentioned all shotguns are the same “power” as individual pellets. No matter .410 or 10 ga. 3-1/2”! Each pellet is going 1200-1400 fps. Steel shot usually is faster, as it needs the speed. Less dense, lighter, it sheds velocity horribly fast and loses energy. Plus it bounces back at you terribly if your backstop is a hard object.

WB, I will send you a sample of shot,

jthomson
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2024, 18:25 (165 days ago) @ WB

to load into your cartridge shot loads. I have been playing with it for developing shot shell loads. Its lead shot copper coated and then nickel plated. I doesn't deform when shot giving you more consistent patterns and in my testing better kill power on game birds. Frightenly expensive but using a half ounce at a time makes a bag go a way LOL.

I bet you are a terror on the range with the .410!

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 09:05 (164 days ago) @ jthomson

- No text -