Outfitter alert - Woods and Water, Wrightsville, GA

GregG
[subject]
Saturday, January 28, 2017, 16:22 (2664 days ago)

Me and my 2 hunting buds just got back from Woods and Water in Wrightsville, GA for hogs. They run a very nice camp and have been featured on TV. They have 5000 acres under lease and 80 stands/blinds. It is a "hoggy" area and we had lots of fun. Fair chase. No fences. Was out to 1:00am this morning in a great spot in the swamp. What a blast! People are very friendly and professional. I learned a key lesson about hog hunting. The lone, big boars do not come into the feeder area to feed. They know the sows will be coming with piglets so the run lazy circles around the feeder looking for sows. That's great intel because I had a big boy crunching 6 feet through the thick next to my stand that I probably should have popped with my 410 GNR Redhawk instead of waiting for him to hit the feeder. It was 10pm. He never hit the feeder.The green lights work great. I have ATN night vision but another lesson learned - 6x is too much and the reticle is too thick for a neck shot. Green light with your day scope or thermal with a dot is the better choice. OK for zombie suppression at 100 meters but not for fine work on hogs. ARs are not needed as you're getting one shot anyway and only one hog per day. Next trip will be with the 410 GNR Encore tube. The outfitter is Highly recommended. All 3 of us have expressed a desire to return. Their feeder, most of them, have motion sensor green lights that illuminate to alert of of hogs feeding (or raccoons/foxes/bobcats waltzing by). That helps a lot.

Greg, that is how most animals do it. Elk, deer, and a lot

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, January 28, 2017, 18:36 (2664 days ago) @ GregG

of others will stand back in the brush and let the does, cows and young go out into the open first. Then they will ease out into the open but still be very cautious. I have watched this hundreds of times.

One other thing, to keep from embarrassing yourself, don't tell people there are no fences. I guarantee you there is a fence around that 5000 acres. They have to keep poachers and others out and the hogs in. Even in 330,000 acres conservancies in Africa, they have a fence around them. Every piece of land has a fence. It may be just for looks but any hunting business will have a fence around their place. It just makes good sense. Just a thought.

Thanlks. I've seen that as well, but

GregG
[subject]
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 09:09 (2664 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

This outfitter has his 5000 acres spread over a 20 mile radius. Lots of different plots that sum to 5000 acres. I was on two different spots and saw no fences, just natural barriers - swamps and bogs and huge wheat fields and the like. One had a locked gate down the dirt road access but the perimeter was open. As close to fair chase as I've ever seen with the exception of Alaska, Ontario and Maine for moose and bears. I've seen the fences in RSA as well as Wilderness Lodge and Joe Meek's place in TN and in TX at the Hot 'N Nasty so I can relate.

Thanks for the information

John W
[subject]
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 05:21 (2664 days ago) @ GregG

- No text -

My pleasure. I like to share what I learn with the Raiders

GregG
[subject]
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 09:00 (2664 days ago) @ John W

- No text -