TC Contender .22Hornet question...

Larryh
[subject]
Saturday, January 28, 2017, 22:30 (2665 days ago)

Found a consignment Contender in .22Hornet with a TG LOBO 3X scope on it for what I think is a fair price of 499. Haven't bought it yet but am strongly considering it. My question is, what can be done to it barrel and caliber wise? The question from 2012 on the board below made me wonder. I believe the serial # was 170???

if the serial number is 270,000 or less it is

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, January 28, 2017, 22:38 (2665 days ago) @ Larryh

going to be hard to find barrels that will fit it. TC changed the barrel lugs 4 times thru the years, and yours is the second change Contender. I have, (or had) several friends at TC and they each said that 270,000 was the breaking point. Under that some barrels would drop right on and fit if they were made during that early time period. Any barrel made after that time period (and I don't remember the actual date of the change) would not fit those early frames. My recommendation is don't buy a Contender that is under serial number 270,000. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks Gary, I'll keep looking.

larryh
[subject]
Saturday, January 28, 2017, 22:44 (2665 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

So glad I put ??? on the original post! Only cuz I

larryh
[subject]
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 19:33 (2664 days ago) @ larryh

couldn't remember the whole serial #.

Wrong #

CHIPKING
[subject]
Monday, January 30, 2017, 08:08 (2663 days ago) @ larryh

Larry all this talk about numbers what you need is a Ruger # 1 for Gary to work over.

I have a Contender w/ a serial at 22xxxx

Gus S.
[subject]
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 12:12 (2664 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Will I need to send the frame in to have a barrel fitted should I decide to get another barrel for it?

Gus, why do you put the XXX in the serial number? Only

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 13:47 (2664 days ago) @ Gus S.

idiots on gunbroker do that. If you frame is under 270,000 (see, no X's), then yes a barrel will most likely have to be fit to it, even if you buy a TC barrel at a gun show. Odds are it will have to have a bit of fitting.

So if the Russians hack the site again, they wont get his SN

Howard
[subject]
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 15:10 (2664 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Man, I bought that gun..

Gus S.
[subject]
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 19:07 (2664 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

.. in NYC on a street corner from a Colombian smuggler hauling "High Capacity" AR mags and gadgets that hack smart guns from your cell phone. I gotta protect myself. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching me. But I shouldn't worry. In 10 minutes the site will go down and my data will get erased anyway. So basically this conversation never happened.

I was really hoping you'd explain twist rates to us again. I heard Howard has some 300 grain .22 cal depleted uranium bullets that he thinks you need to change your twist rates to shoot properly.

Personally,.. I think he's crazy.