One of those if I go....

Josh
[subject]
Sunday, February 05, 2017, 20:22 (2660 days ago)

I am trading into one of the new gp100 44spl's. Now I have been unable to hunt since I broke my neck in 2011, but if I get to go I plan on using it with 200gr XTP's for deer. If I were to hog hunt should I go to a hardcast or stay with the xtp's?

P. S. I'd love to be forwarded some of those African hunt video's

Jguthans @ gmail.com

XTP's great for deer, I'd not shoot any med. to large hog

WB
[subject]
Sunday, February 05, 2017, 20:51 (2660 days ago) @ Josh

with anything but a cast FN bullet. But that is me! I've seen guys on TC hammer them with a .223 but not me.

I'm a cast bullet guy.

I agree with WB about the 200gr xtp... but...

Drdougrx
[subject]
Sunday, February 05, 2017, 21:37 (2660 days ago) @ WB

the 200gr xtp is a fine deer bullet and s loaded as a self defense bullet as well. IMO great for larger game. I've used the 240 on many hogs over 300lbs with good results. But...these n a 44 mag at max velocity. I think they would be just fine for most hogs up to about 250lbs. I've changed to the 300gr xtp for the bruisers. You can NEVER go wrong with hard cast though!

44 Special

Alcorn
[subject]
Monday, February 06, 2017, 05:10 (2660 days ago) @ Drdougrx

No 200 gr XTP on hogs. The 240 XTP is OK on hogs out of a 44 special. With 44 Mag you want to go to 265gr. Hornady. Most 250gr and up hard cast is great.

You shoot anything in the ear or neck it's done.

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 06, 2017, 08:00 (2660 days ago) @ Alcorn

but can you do that every time? Not me. Don't expect unrealistic things from cast bullets. They poke a hole in one side and out the other, through what's in the middle. Usually in a pretty straight line no matter bone or whatever. Their consistency in that respect is good. But it still requires shot placement. Poking a hole takes a while to leak life fluids out sometimes too. But two holes usually leave a trail. Usually. If it runs off give it a bit to lie down and bleed out, don't give chase and scare too soon. Otherwise you can run it out of the county.

For .44 Special on deer and sheep I sure would want a expansive slug, even smaller meat hogs. About 900-1000 fps is a nice speed. For a big hog a good 240 gr. classic SWC at that same speed works fine and is easy to shoot if you are up to it. Your skill will put the effective range limit to the equation. For me that's about 25-30 yds. with iron sights and around 50 with a scope and marginal support available. I've shot a hog at 75-80 with a 2X but it was not ideal. (it was a 9.5" .429 GNR and I had a tree to lean against - 310 gr. cast at 1600 fps)

This Jacobs Ram was taken with a .44 Special 240 gr. Remington JSP at 950 fps. Compete broadside penetration, DRT.
[image]