WB
LOL, you should see me clearing our cottage!
Monday, December 05, 2022, 10:50

It's well hidden from road view about 100 yds., away in a rural neighborhood. There are some rough looking characters that live to the N.E. as the crow flies. There is a span of thick woods about 300 yds. and a deep creek, followed by a steep uphill to our house's back deck. They may be fine folks, but my spidey senses tingle a bit as a point of vulnerability. Maybe I should go visit and introduce myself as their neighbor. But then again, I've seen the "I lost my dog" trick when an intruder is discovered and confronted. Don't want anyone to be to familiar with my business either.

I have security cameras and sometimes I look at them on my phone before I go down into the area to the house. I have door latches and locks, block sticks on the inside of all doors. Usually I place small tells in front of inside doors to know if anyone has opened the door (hiding inside) etc. There is a route of checking I perform every time I enter the house before I can relax. I've mentioned the hallway and stair well that is a choke point. Not much of a good way but I know that is likely my most vulnerable spot.

If nothing else my caution is a good exercise and I try not to be complacent. If anyone ever did jump out, and they did once with a Deputy at my side!, I'll soil myself. The possibility of shooting someone too is not beyond a list potential outcomes. My horror would be a knife wielding crackhead who took the location as a refuge unknown to me!