colleen reeder
At the time I was getting into powerful semi autos
Monday, May 29, 2023, 22:11

I already had several 41 and 44 Auto Mags. The 41 JMP (for Jurras Magnum Pistol as Lee Jurras developed the cartridge) was my favorite of the 3 or 4 Auto Mag cartridges. In fact it was the inspiration for my 41 GNR.

I was extremely fond of the 41 JMP and used it on everything I could. One day while I was draining Lee's brain of all the info I could get about powerful semi auto handguns, I asked Lee if anyone had ever tried necking the 44 Magnum case down to 41 caliber. Lee thought a minute and said as far as he knew nobody had. He said people that wanted to come up with a new wildcat cartridge tried to make it something completely different, like necking the 9.8 Kropotchnick down to 22. He said the 41 on a 44 Mag case was too simple. Me being sort of a simple guy jumped on that and within 2 or 3 weeks I had the first 41 GNR cartridge based on a Contender barrel out and heading to a hunt at the Tellico Junction Preserve. The rest, as they say is history.

But getting back to powerful semi autos, if I had to pick one gun today it would be the L.A.R. Grizzly. This one was simply an overgrown 1911. I used it up in Utah on Bison, in Africa on medium size critters and anything I could get in my sights. It comes from the factory in either 45 Winchester magnum or the 44 Magnum. There are a couple of other calibers available but those 2 will do anything you want done. It runs perfectly in the 45 Win. Mag and a jacketed soft point. My first Bison was taken with that bullet and gun. Kase and I had 5 or 6 at one time in the 45 Win Mag , the 44 magnum and the wildcat 44 mag case necked down to 357. I never could get that one reliable enough to make me happy and it soon found a new home. But if a person wanted something with a lot more power than the 45 Super the 45 Win Mag Grizzly is your baby. And if you tire of it, I will buy it from you.