barring an intrepid historian finding and going through discarded original Winchester records that somehow survived, or perhaps US Ordnance records, I doubt we'll ever know an answer.
I could hypothesize that the govt had some spotty problems with Schofield rims in some SAAs, snd wanted an equivalent load in .45 Colt rim brass, or perhaps Schofield ammunition stocks exhausted by the time of the Moros and easier to load a shortened .45 Colt case or easier to produce by the company/companies, but, who knows?
My brass ended up splitting at the case mouth snd was discarded, I did not know of annealing back then. Thanks for the blast from the past.
-
Cleaning Day(s)
- Jim Taylor, 2026-09-30, 06:15
-
No significant thickness loss, I take it? (nm)
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-01, 11:12
-
No. Not really. I am not gonna shoot these.
- Jim Taylor, 2026-10-01, 11:36
-
I once had a gunbelt and a handful of the
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-01, 12:10
-
I did the same thing back in the 70's and 80's.
- Jim Taylor, 2026-10-01, 13:20
-
At this distance from the past days,
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-01, 15:07
-
Yes, that is true. What I figured is:
- Jim Taylor, 2026-10-02, 07:29
-
In regards to the ".45 Colt" vs ".45 Long Colt"
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-02, 09:53
-
Good points. Growing up it was always 45 Colt.
- Jim Taylor, 2026-10-02, 10:21
-
I look at the modern push to "Long Colt" as
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-02, 12:03
-
I have used "long colt" as far back as I cvan
- Gary Reeder, 2026-10-02, 16:30
-
In Cartridges of the World they give all the info
- Gary Reeder, 2026-10-02, 16:42
-
Well, out of curiosity, I randomly grabbed my 1971
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-02, 17:02
-
You didn't look far enough. There is a
- Gary Reeder, 2026-10-02, 19:13
-
Am not arguing that it is a totally new name,
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-03, 06:46
-
Always good for a discussion.
- ORG, 2026-10-03, 10:43
- Yep. Folk call it what they want. I like ".45 Old West". (nm) - Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-03, 11:40
-
Always good for a discussion.
- ORG, 2026-10-03, 10:43
-
Am not arguing that it is a totally new name,
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-03, 06:46
-
You didn't look far enough. There is a
- Gary Reeder, 2026-10-02, 19:13
-
Well, out of curiosity, I randomly grabbed my 1971
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-02, 17:02
-
In Cartridges of the World they give all the info
- Gary Reeder, 2026-10-02, 16:42
-
I have used "long colt" as far back as I cvan
- Gary Reeder, 2026-10-02, 16:30
-
I look at the modern push to "Long Colt" as
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-02, 12:03
-
Good points. Growing up it was always 45 Colt.
- Jim Taylor, 2026-10-02, 10:21
-
In regards to the ".45 Colt" vs ".45 Long Colt"
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-02, 09:53
-
Yes, that is true. What I figured is:
- Jim Taylor, 2026-10-02, 07:29
-
At this distance from the past days,
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-01, 15:07
-
I did the same thing back in the 70's and 80's.
- Jim Taylor, 2026-10-01, 13:20
-
I once had a gunbelt and a handful of the
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-01, 12:10
-
No. Not really. I am not gonna shoot these.
- Jim Taylor, 2026-10-01, 11:36
-
No significant thickness loss, I take it? (nm)
- Jerry Kiln, 2026-10-01, 11:12