WB
I started a support ticket with LEE we'll see
Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 09:25

*In the remote chance it might interest you....

The LEE dies seem to conform with SAAMI specs that show a loaded round measuring 0.529" at front of the case. My loaded Hornady component rounds mic 0.526" (I know, but they just do). A total of 0.006-0.007" of case pull on the seated bullet seems a good number (there is only about 2-3 thou right now). So this makes me wonder about the brass. It would need to be only about 0.0015 or 0.002" thicker per side to make this up and everything work like it should (0.0014" rather than 0.0012" thick). This would be close to the SAAMI OD spec of 0.529" with a 0.499" bullet (in proportion to what I measure now). I'm getting a few thou larger on the OD than the literal math would indicate, maybe my measuring point, but it seems consistent.

[image]

Roman only needs a couple mags worth. SO I did something sort of crazy. The ONLY die I have close from about 100 sets is a belted magnum sizer (I used a .338). I squeezed down the 1/3 front portion of the case mouth to around 15 thou under. The SAAMI shows 0.529, Lee was doing, 0.526 OD, the .338 die sized the OD at the mouth to 0.511. My ID dropped from 0.497 to 0.485". Notably too tight but would it work with a bullet seated into a heavily chamfered case? Sort of. The result was workable but I was worried about concentricity and maybe a tiny bulge in the case. I gently ironed cases using the LEE sizer (on loaded rounds) with the decapper removed. Not FL but just to iron out any malformities. It seemed to work and is doable for an emergency on maybe 20 rounds.

The thick jacket and generous bevel allowed a gently forcing of the bullet into the slightly necked cases.
[image]