WB
No real need to water quinch them. The temper goes away
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 07:07

with time too. I'm told that in about 30 days the hardness goes away enough to measure the change. But likely it would have little effect on the shooting. My ignorance about it has been bliss many years. Too hard bullets, or undersized, will lead worse than soft, sometimes!

Your wheelweight alloy would benefit greatly with just an ounce or two of tin and/or linotype. The lead will flow into the mould much better and the alloy malleability will be enhanced.

However I personally have shot bunches of plain wheelweights, air cooled, to 1400+ fps and plain bases. Slower powder is needed above 1200 fps. You can sometimes get leading with maybe Bullseye at 900 fps but 4227 at 1300 is fine. Depends on varied factors. The .510 has a huge surface area to push upon and spread out pressure, so it's relatively low at that speed. The propelling dynamics should be moderate with the 4227 that is recommended.

I am no expert by any measure. But I find casting/shooting is a very forgiving pastime. Often overthought.