Mark Conner
1 or 2 things to try.
Monday, January 30, 2017, 18:21

Your pictures are kind of hard to tell what is going on, but it really looks like the drive bands and base have rounded edges. The noses look to have pretty good fill out.

Try a alloy temperature around 700 degrees or just a bit more. Get a casting rhythm going that takes the sprue 3-4 seconds to solidify. Don't admire each cast as it falls from the mould, (time for that later) your mould is just cooling off especially in that cold weather. If your sprue hardens faster than that don't turn your pot up, cast faster, or slow down the cast if it is taking longer.

When opening the sprue plate, if it smears the lead it is still too hot, if it pulls a divot from the base it is still just a bit hot, let it cool a few more seconds. Although I've never noticed a small divot hurting anything.

The inspection you do want to do is, when you crack the sprue plate open make sure the base fill out is full and sharp. If anything else, don't waste a 4 1/2 cent gas check on it.

As time goes on you will find what works for you and your moulds. You may want to toss all this out completely.

Hey Gary instead of KY I always thought fromunda cheese would work.