AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
I've the same feelings about the 454
Saturday, September 24, 2022, 15:16

The first 475 Linebaugh I ever shot was built by some guy named Gary Reeder. It was a Ruger Bisley he built for a friend of mine up in Oregon. We were out at a mutual friend's place, shooting on a private improvised range. I was offered the opportunity to shoot the 475 with some Hornady ammo. I do not recall WHY, but I was shooting over the chronograph they had set up, probably because that's where there was a bench lined up with a target. Anyway, I was prepared for "the heavens to part and the elements to melt" but thought "That wasn't so bad." Then we got a look at the chronograph - IIRC it was 2 or 3 hundred FPS over what was claimed on the factory box. Turns out that ammo wasn't very heat resistant and had been sitting in the sun.

A few years later I was visiting some yahoo named Jim Taylor and casually mentioned I'd never had a chance to shoot a 454 Cassul. So he "kindly" dug out his 454 and a box of Corbon 360 grain ammo and sent me out into the cold to "giver her a whirl". My sons went along to watch. Again I held on for dear life, but each shot brought home the fact that I do NOT care for snappy recoil! The pistol was returned to the owner along with 15 rounds and five empty cartridges in the ammo box. I'll take that hot ammo in a 475 any day over a 454 and heavy loads. I'm still amazed Jim stayed inside beside the fire instead of going out to watch "the fun".

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.